Why is the UK so obsessed with Oasis?

Now I don't dislike Oasis. I enjoy some Definitely Maybe or (What's the Story) Morning Glory from time to time. That said, it seems like the UK has always had some strange, inexplicable fascination with these guys that no other country has ever shared. The tabloids there have always loved them, still do to this day. There's a massive contingent of fans over there who speak endless hyperbole about them being some sort of transcendent rock band. These people completely buy into their contrived thug mentality or "swagger", vague non-sensical lyrics and bland riffs. Obviously, I'm sure they have fans like this in other countries, but not even close to the massive numbers in Britain.

I've always known of this weird obsession. Now, I'm reading that in British polls in recent years (let me further clarify, PUBLIC POLLS) Definitely Maybe was voted the greatest album of all time (you read that right) ahead of Sgt. Peppers and Revolver. Furthermore, Liam Gallagher was voted greatest frontman of all time over the likes of Freddie Mercury.

...........

Those are two of the most absolute ridiculous things I have ever read. Is there something in the water over there? As an American, I'm often critical of the culture in my home country and complimentary of many positive aspects of British culture which I feel are lacking here. But this is just strange. The ongoing Oasis obsession in the UK is far more perplexing to me than the Royal Family one, and I need someone to explain it to me.

Favorite Answer

I don't think the UK *is* obsessed with Oasis, except for a brief moment in time around 1995-1996, which was a long time ago, and longer ago with each passing day...

They get in the tabloids, but all celebs do. As for polls, they mean nothing. The average person on the street doesn't know many alternatives beyond what they heard on the radio when they were young.

• jamman

Because they were an honest inspired band by the Beatles I think.

I like them a lot btw.

j:)

• ?

Why is the US so obsessed with Burger King?