What exactly is "Ditto" meaning ?

What's the real meaning ?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Believe it or not, “ditto" has ancient beginnings. It comes from the Latin dictus (having been said), which evolved into detto in standard Italian. In the Tuscan dialect, detto became ditto, which entered English in the early 17th century (the first published reference dates from 1625).

When it first appeared in English, "ditto" was used to avoid having to repeat a month or year in a date. Someone might have written, for example, "on 22 January and 25 ditto" to avoid having to say "on 22 January and 25 January." Half a century later, in 1678, "ditto" was being used in a more general way to mean the same or aforementioned.

This information comes from the Oxford English Dictionary, John Ayto's Dictionary of Word Origins, The Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology, and The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

• 8 years ago

What exactly is "Ditto" meaning?

What's the real meaning ?

Source(s): Its called ditto
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Ditto was a brand name of a copy machine before Xerox was invented. It is also a slang expression meaning "likewise" or "same here".

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Ditto is a Normal-type Pokémon.

It is not known to evolve into or from any other Pokémon.

Ditto uses the move Transform to copy the opponent's moves, types, form, and non-HP stats. It can breed with any Pokémon other than the Pokémon in the Undiscovered group and itself, including male Pokémon and some genderless Pokémon, to produce Eggs of the other's species.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

ditto just means you feel the same as what was just stated.

i.e. ann: Im so hungry i could eat a horse!

joe: ditto! <--just means me too!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Same

• 8 years ago

Copy or Same thing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.