Which would you prefer to have for shooting video, a digital SLR or a video camera?

I currently own a Panasonic HDC-SD700 that I've had since 2010, which I think is an absolutely brilliant camcorder. Panasonic's 3MOS sensors really do pack a punch, and its almost like a professional camera in a small form factor, only everythings all neatly tucked away in a little touchscreen. But... show more I currently own a Panasonic HDC-SD700 that I've had since 2010, which I think is an absolutely brilliant camcorder. Panasonic's 3MOS sensors really do pack a punch, and its almost like a professional camera in a small form factor, only everythings all neatly tucked away in a little touchscreen.

But recently I've been reading up on digital SLRs, and how they're increasingly being used for things like shooting films, short films, music videos etcetera.

What is better? My current camera, or a Canon 550D? I'm just curious to know. I know the SLRs come with the benefits of more interchangeable lenses in contrast to my camcorder, so you could play with the depth of field more etc... but are there really any differences in the image quality?