Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 8 years ago

Telecommunications engineering urgent advice! please, thanks.?

I'm a telecommunications student in my second year of the university, i just turned 17.

I was just wondering wat it was like to be an actual telecoms engineer. So far we do so much calculations, im pretty good at that although its becomming more complicated but most of my class mates are less serious with the calculations. They are older (being 17 im the youngest) and say i wouldnt really need all that, as there are computers for those now. But i dont wanna put my trust in them as most of them had other degrees already and just need a certificate now. And we've had less advanced practicals.

Am i really wasting my time with all this calculations?

Im begining to think its a problem. So i wanna know what working as a telecoms engineer is like especially the start ( no matter the country, i just want opinions). What do telecoms engineers actually do when they start in the office? Do they have to do calculations? Do they have to run and fix equipments? Do they sit on the computer doing stuffs like programming?

Will all this calculations just leave me as a lecturer teaching in a university, telling tales of how my wrong decisions got me there?

I hear telecommunications engineer are either in the technical (circuits, waves and stuff) or computer and networking (programming, cisco, networking) aspect. Is this right?

I'm not really a fan of waves and circuit, but I'm not bad at that either. If i study, i do good at it but its not something i enjoy doing. It bores me. On the other hand computers make me happy. Even when i don't get it right, i still keep trying.

Why i didn't do computer or software engineering is a complicated story so don't try to wonder why.

I am taking up programming. I love computers. Will this be of any use to me in the telecommunications industry? Am i just wasting precious time i should spend reading my electronics and circuit notes?

I am gonna get a masters in telecommunications. But i will be done with that by 21 and since I'm still young, i was thinking of getting another. I thought of software's, programming, networking and security because i wanna be exposed to the computer world also. I'm not really a fan of circuits like i said. I want a second masters in a different course from telecommunications but i want them to relate. I think its a good edge for me.

Also if you may give me an idea of what kinda pay to expect and how difficult it will be to get a job in various parts of the world. Where would be a good place to work? I hear telecommunications engineering is the most employing career in the world now. Is this true? And how long will this last

Any other advice you have from experience would help.

P.S

Pleas it will help if you give a vivid explanation. Even if its a million pages i will read it through. I could also contact you for more info if this wont let you write enough. Even if you think it will discourage me, just tell me. I know nothing good comes easy.

if there are errors in the grammar, I'm sorry.

Thanks

Favorite Answer

I am 19years old and a Cisco Network Engineer for Nova Voice and Data Systems, Inc., in Oceanside, CA.

Nova Voice and Data Systems, Inc. (http://www.NovaVoiceandData.com) provides Cisco Voice over IP and network solutions for Small and Medium sized businesses (SMB), as well as commercial voice and data cabling and Toshiba PBX and Voice over IP phone systems. A day in the life may involve complicated or simple tasks, but whether at a desk, crawling through an attic, or crouched in a telephone closet, a telecommunications engineer is always calculating his next move and the move after his next move while he makes his present move.

"I hear telecommunications engineer are either in the technical (circuits, waves and stuff) or computer and networking (programming, cisco, networking) aspect. Is this right?"

Not necessarily, Although my title is Cisco Network Engineer, I commonly work with both circuits and computer networking and programming of network devices. I often deal with analog lines. Analog lines can be used for CO's (Central Office lines - the lines that connect phone systems to the PSTN - Public Switched Telephone Network) or they can be used for analog end points suchas a Fax line, Alarm line, Loudringer, or analog phone. I am certified in Cisco's Voice over IP systems as well as Toshiba's CIX - digital telephone PBX systems. Although my primary role is Cisco's product line, having experience and certifications in non VoIP telephony is important.

Cisco offers a career path for Voice. The expert level is CCIE Voice and the certification path is:

CCNA-->CCNA Voice-->CCNP Voice-->CCIE Voice

The average salary of a CCIE Voice in Los Angeles, CA is $106,000

Voice over IP is currently one of the fastest growing industries.

Source(s): Reilly Chase CCNA Voice, CCNA, TCTE, TCTS, MCTS (x2), Network+, Security+ Cisco Network Engineer @ Nova Voice and Data Systems, Inc. http://www.NovaVoiceandData.com