Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 7 years ago

Can a Zoloft prescription disqualify Coast Guard enlistment?

I am curious as to if a Zoloft prescription that was stopped over two years ago is grounds for disqualification into the Coast Guard. I am more than qualified in terms of basic requirements, college credits, asvab score, and clean record. I recently attempted to speak to Army recruiters and they declared me disqualified due to a very short Zoloft prescription two years ago. Any enlightenment would be very greatly appreciated.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Short answer, yes. But speak to a recruiter.

Zoloft is traditionally prescribed for depression. That alone is an automatic disqualifier.

• Login to reply the answers
  • crnd
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Other than a MEPS doctor and your recruiter (which are the only official "final answer" sources) the official reference for your question is the Coast Guard Medical Manual. To summarize what it says, yes, a prescription for Zoloft (which is a treatment) for minor depresession within the past 3 years would be a DQ.

Once 3 years have passed though, you may be OK, assuming minor depression is all it was, you were never admitted as an inpatient and the total treatment period was less than 2 years. The relevant excerpt from the Coast Guard Medical Manual is quoted below, or you can read it for yourself at the USCG's official site (see page 279 of the .pdf) located here:

http://www.uscg.mil/directives/cim/6000-6999/CIM_6...

Good luck!

e. Bipolar Disorders/Psychoses. History of bipolar disorders (296.4-7) and affective psychoses (296.8) are disqualifying.

f. Depressive disorders. History of depressive disorders (296), Dysthymic (300.4), Cyclothymic (301.11) requiring outpatient care for longer than twelve (12) months by a physician or other mental health professional (to include V65.40), or any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility is disqualifying.

g. Depressive disorders not otherwise specified (311), or unspecified mood disorder (296.90), does not meet the standards unless:

(1) Outpatient care was not required for longer than twenty-four (24) months (cumulative) by a physician or other mental health professional (V65.40).

(2) Has been stable without treatment for the past thirty-six (36) continuous months.

(3) Did not require any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility.

Source(s): I'm a USCG officer.
  • albano
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Coast Guard Medical Manual

• 7 years ago

Mental health problems are a disqualification from service.

The services are having the highest suicide rate, highest divorce rate, PTSD and TBI rates ever. Their mental health workers are maxed out with all these problems. They are not going to take anyone with a history of mental health problems as that will just add to their patient load. The logic being that you could not handle civilian life so there is a high probability you can not handle military life.

All the military services have the same views on this. So shopping around really is not going to help. (They also talk to each other so if one has some records on you, the others have access.)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ehler
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

My superb suggestion for you is to talk to a Coast preserve Recruiter. flow to a Public Library and ask a Librarian and he or she/he could desire to provide you the extra helpful direction than I. Now, despite questions you have here, verify you ask the Coast preserve Recruiter that question.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.