can i become a US citizen if im on a TPS (temporary protected status)?

i had this ever since i was 7 now im 20

and i cant receive financial aid because im not a citizen

5 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

    not anytime soon, I'm afraid. there's no direct route normally between TPS and a green card, much less citizenship. there is a small program for green card status for TPS holders from Central America, known as NACARA, but the line for that program is very long.

  • Nex
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    Seeing how you had the TPS since age 7 regardless of the way you entered you accrued no illegal presence.

    Sponsorship via marriage to an USC is one way to get a green card (permanent residents can get financial aid). If you arrived on a visa then you won't have to leave the country to adjust. If you entered without inspection, then you'll have to leave US for the processing time, however since you have no illegal presence you won't have to bother with hardship waivers or anything. I would also apply for an advance parole before leaving, just in case your case gets rejected you'll still be able to return.

    Alternatively you can wait and hope that the MAVNI program opens up again, which allows otherwise non-qualifying immigrants to enlist in the military and get citizenship. However you need to either be a doctor or have a qualifying cultural background. And serve 4 years of active duty.

    I would see an immigration lawyer if I were you.

  • 7 years ago

    You'll need to be a Green Card holder for 5 years first.

    If you still have TPS, that's something you'll have a hard time to become.

    Source(s): Attorney at Law
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    Im thinking you should talk to an expert. A lawyer or something. Thats pretty complicated stuff, and it will seriously distract from our ceaseless attacking of the other political spectrum.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.