Question about manual transmission on automatic?

Hi. I have an automatic car but it has d1 d2 d3 manual transmission no clutch. I used it for the first time today and from what I've learned on manual transmission, im kinda confused. Okay, d1 maxes out on 20mph and 3.5-4 rpm but if i step on the gas a lil more, theres a big push and it goes to 21-25mph and 5-6 rpm. Then I switch it there to d2 and I floor it until 3.5-4rpm and theres no push after just revving so then i switch too d3 which maxes out on 60mph. So, is it okay if i go up to 5-6rpm on d1? Also, is it okay if i go from d3 to D(automatic). Finally, when i decrease speed is it okay to switch back down to d1? Thanks for info guys ;D

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Reuben
    Lv 4
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

From the very first sentence, your question becomes confusing. A manual automatic? Ok, there are some clutch-less semi-manuals out there I guess... But then you say d1 (not even sure what that means. First gear?) maxes out at 20... Unless you give it more gas. Do you not know what "max" means? Are these rpm numbers in the thousands like normal? I think maybe you should just put the car in drive "D" or overdrive "(D)" and not worry about shifting AN AUTOMATIC. Now that my rant is over, sounds like you need a new transmission or a rebuild. You can continue to drive it like you said, take it to red-line in first and then skip second since it doesn't pull, but it won't be good for the engine and definitely won't help the transmission.

• 7 years ago

I can tell you know nothing about cars, the D1, D2, and D3 are for special situations as someone else said for towing or driving in snow it allow more torque and power to be sent for the wheels, you don't have the kind of transmission that lets you shift without the clutch if you throw it into a manual mode (most cars with this feature have an M and thats where you put the gear lever to shift manually), When you do what your doing your going to blow the engine and trans. Don't mess with it unless your driving in snow at low speeds or towing.

Best of luck.

• 7 years ago

You run your car out to 6000 RPM every time you shift your car it isn't going to last long. Put it in D3 and let it shift the way it's meant to shift. Quit beating the hell out of it.

• 7 years ago

leave it in D the others are for special stuations like towing, descending a very steep hill, you will wreck the box if you downshift at high revs

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

First of all your tranny is automatic. Don't shift gears like that your gonna mess it up bad. Then you going to have to buy new tranny

• ken k
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

what country are you in???what car is it??/everybody shooting answers out and nobody knows what car?????????

Source(s): used car dlr nj
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.