Bf2MC asked in Science & MathematicsBotany · 8 years ago

Can plants other than hemp produce THC?

I know that cannabis produces THC naturally, but is it possible for other plants to naturally produce it as well? Some seed companies can graft seeds to make hybrids or better plants, is it possible to make a plant like a Blackberry bush grow berries with THC on the in & outside?

Favorite Answer

I have read that the hemp plant is very closely related to a hops vine, and you can grow a hops vine and graft it to the root of a pot plant and it will grow THC-laden hops and leaves. I don't know if it's true, or anyone who's tried it. But my dad used to grow hops vines just for ornamentation (they are very easy to grow and they climb like crazy!) So I know you can get them, at least.

"The question remains as to why Cannabis sativa L. appears to be the only plant that produces a metabolite (Δ9-THC acid) that readily leads to its decarboxylation product Δ9-THC, which is the most potent phytocannabinoid activator of the CB1 receptor. Interestingly enough, while nature may have been rather parsimonious in its provision of botanical secondary metabolites that activate the CB1 receptor, there is an increasing number of plant-derived natural products reported to target the CB2 receptor to varying degrees". - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC293155...

Seeds are not grafted to make hybrids, but plants are cross pollinated: but anyway there is no value in research to produce THC in other plants, especially now that it can be made synthetically.

The growing to be on hemp has lately change into criminal back in uk. it really is likewise used partly as an decision decision to fibre glass and plastic panelling (in autos). the priority as I see it with this and any bio gasoline stands out as the stability between using land for housing and infrastructure, foodstuff production, or using an similar land for gasoline production. a help in international inhabitants would help cut back the first 2. regrettably the gasoline issue will continuously boost to deplete notwithstanding means source it extremely is presented.