Hyperextended knee or knee ligament tear?

About 2 weeks ago I was playing football and jumped to catch a pass and when I came down I saw my knee flex backwards almost like a C and I fell forward on top of it.

I felt a pop and severe pain immediately and my left leg went numb. My knee swelled up some but after ice and staying off of it for a few hours I was able to very gingerly walk. Placing steady weight on it is painful. I still have pain and stiffness of the knee and sharp sensations along the right front of my knee and the back. My knee also pops and it feels like I can move it from side to side along the top of my leg bone. Like nothing is holding it together. It is unstable and tries to flex backwards constantly if I am standing or jumping or any sudden motion. My knee also feels extremely tight all of the time.

I tried to play baseball as I assumed nothing was wrong and that was a mistake. I went to swing and turn my legs and hips and pain started instantly. I have done something like this before and ended up tearing my MCL and meniscus.

Does anyone have any insight on what my possible injury is? Hyperextended knee perhaps?

Hi Travis,

I'm sorry about your knee. Knee injuries can be serious and there's a lot in the knee that can be hurt and cause pain. You could possibly have torn your meniscus are a ligament. The symptoms of a torn meniscus are pain located generally on the outer or inner side of the knee, swelling that occurs 2-3 days after the but not alway, the inability to fully bend or straighten the knee/leg, a buckling or giving out sensation, clicking or popping in the knee, and knee locking. The symptoms of a torn ligament are pain, swelling, buckling or giving way sensations in the knee, and excessive motion in the knee. Also, when a ligament tears, the person sometimes can hear a pop along with feeling something. I highly recommend you see an orthopedist (aka as an orthopedic surgeon) (bone and joint doctor). They specialize in this specific area and will provide the most/best help. Skip the family doc or hospital if you can; they won't do much except maybe xray your knee and then send you home when the xray comes back fine. You could have soft tissue damage. Or if they think your knee needs further evaluation, they'll refer you to an orthopedist anyway. So, skip that step if you can, and go to an orthopedist. Your orthopedist will ask what happened and what symptoms you're experiecing. He then will examine your knee by palpating (feeling) and maybe doing some "hands-on" tests. These tests just involve bending your knee and moving your leg around in certain ways to check for possible injuries. An example of one of these tests is the McMurray's Test. You can google or YouTube it if you're interested. Usually when there's pain or a popping or clicking, there's a good chance there's a meniscus tear. You may be sent for an MRI. An MRI will show any damage done to the soft tissues, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons. The orthopedist will have a good idea of what's causing this and then will send you for the MRI. You'll then meet back with your orthopedist to go over your results and discuss the best treatment for what's wrong. To me, it sounds like you could have torn your ACL. I really hope that's not the case, but the way you described what happened and when you say it feels like nothing's holding it together and it flexes backwards, those are typical symptoms of ACL tears. I'd definitely see an orthopedist soon. They'll get you answers and help.

If you have any more questions or want more info, feel free to email me at michellemullen5@yahoo.com

I will try to help if I can!

Good luck with your knee!

Source(s): My own knee injuries from playing basketball: I've torn my meniscus twice and my MCL and have had two knee surgeries done all within three months.

The knee is composed of two bones forming a plate it truly is stored mutually by way of a pill and ligaments. in the journey that your knee is volatile after an harm perchance you have a torn ligaments the two PCL or ACL, if the tear is partial it may desire to heal with relax. If its entire tear relax or workout will do not something yet worsening the knee harm. ACL tear will produce an illustration for the duration of examination call anterior DRAWER. PCL provides you with posterior DRAWER. There are 2 meniscus inner and exterior. They act allowing your knee flexing and lengthening. If the circulation is painful perchance you have a meniscus tear.Meniscus tear is acknowledged by way of PIVOT sign for the duration of examination. it quite is extra helpful to spend a sprint be on your self looking after an harm that perchance could reason you extreme worrying arthritis and extra actual predicament. you could continuously manage funds or seem for a medicaid or county assisted clinics, the place they have the medical doctors and the kit to assist human beings without coverage, do not flow away your wellbeing on the air.