Are goldfish a great animal for a five gallon?

Or not?

How many would I be able to get?

How long would they live?

I used to have black skirt tetras but they kept dieing due to poor information when I bought them.

I bought fish to help give me a hobby and to help reduce stress. Are goldfish a good idea?

It's a 5 galloon filtered tank. A few plants and a barrel looking statue thingy. All information is welcomed :]

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

As BarfingWhale said, the only fish suitable for a 5 gallon tank is a Betta. They require a hood (or they will jump out), a heater (they are high-end tropical, contrary to popular belief), and a gentle filter (they don't like turbulence in their water). Bettas are one of the easiest fish to keep that there is, providing you do plenty of research on proper Betta care beforehand.

Goldfish can grow to be huge, depending on species. A single Fancy Goldfish requires a 30 gallon tank, a Common or Comet a 75 gallon tank. Some species can live 25 years or more, with excellent care. All goldfish are very messy fish and require a filter rated for double the tank size, 30% weekly water changes, and thorough gravel vacuuming. They are extremely labor-intensive to keep them properly. Unless you have the time and relish the idea of all that work, Goldfish are not for you.

Do plenty of research, read some beginner's aquarium keeping books, then decide if a Betta is a good idea for you. Another option would be a few shrimp, or possibly two African Dwarf Frogs. Some people say ADFs need a 10 gallon tank, but most agree that 5 gallons is fine. Just make sure you get 2 ADFs, not ACFs (African Clawed Frogs). ACFs get much larger and definitely do need a 10 gallon tank. You should get 2 ADFs, they are social and one will get lonely. Make sure they are same sex or they will breed. That can bring with it all sorts of problems best avoided.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Source(s): Hobbyist for many years.
  • 7 years ago

Goldfish will grow far too large, you could not even put 1 in a 5 gallon. They also need a large tank due to the amount of waste they put out, otherwise in order to keep up with it and keep the fish alive you would have to be doing water changes constantly. Try a Betta or some Tetras, Platys or guppies. Male Bettas need to be housed alone, they will kill other fish. I would keep no more than 3 small fish in a 5 gallon otherwise the water quality will be awful and the fish will be crowded, maybe a few more if you get neon tetras.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

NO WAY! 5 gallons is way to small. They need MUCH bigger tanks!

They should live about 20-30 years if kept properly.

The 1 and ONLY fish for a 5 gallon is a betta. Make sure you heat it, and cycle too, and read up on care for them, best to ask questions here, or a fish forum.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

You desire a tank for fish. Bowls and vases don't paintings for fish. Bowls and vases reduce the lifespan of a fish by way of over 50-ninety%. Fish whilst inexpensive than many different pets do require tanks and filters and tropical fish want warmers. Bowls kill fish. Your neighbor fish will die a long way earlier than they must. Goldfish want 30-seventy five+ gallons with a filter out rated two times that. They don't seem to be low priced fish too preserve and occur to be one of the vital messiest. If you best have 20 greenbacks you must wait till you'll have the funds for to get a tank. You will best waste cash by way of striking fish in a bowl.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

1 goldfish is a great fish for a 30 gallon tank, not a five. The tank must also be triple filtered.

• 7 years ago

fk no.

goldfish minimum need 20gals depending on which you got and this is just for a single one. the most one needs is 75gals i believe again depending on the species. they also recquire great filtration.

a betta is good for a 5gal alone. just 1 single male betta. it needs to be heated as well.

google betta information. when getting into this hobby yet alone ANY hobby you need to learn to do your own research. use and abuse the free info on the internet and stop relying on others it will get you no where in this hobby yet alone in life.

betta are simple fish but MANY give false information especially the idiots who like to say they do good in bowls without a filter.

• 7 years ago

Hmm.. poor information... yeah... I can see that being a problem. After all it's not like you have a wealth of good information on the internet.

Goldfish... no. In your case something battery powered would be best. A betta second best.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

A gold fish will be fine in a 5 gallon tank i had one in a 2.5 gal and he liver for 3 years

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.