Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

What is the origin of the rumors that Obama was born in Kenya?

I am not saying Obama was born in Kenya at all and I know the rumors are false. But, I am wondering what the origin of those rumors was. He was elected to the Senate and has a book detailing his life and so had he lied in his book and been born overseas then that would have been learned long before he was elected. I know he has Kenyan relatives but Mitt Romney has Mexican relatives and no one is bringing it up. Was it only because Obama said his birth certificate was private and did not show it until recently that this rumor continued? Was it racism? And when did this rumor start as was it during the primaries in 2008, not until the months leading up to the general election, or back before 2004 when he was thinking of running for Senate? I am not voting for Obama because of the economy and a Pro-Life approach I have and disagree with him on. But, I like Obama and think he is a good person and fair president, not great but fair. So this is not a Democrat asking this as I voted for McCain and am voting for Romney, but I wondered where on earth the rumors about his birth certificate got started.

Also, does a president have to be born in the USA still to be able to be sworn in? I thought he just had to be a US citizen for a certain period of time. Obviously Obama was born in the USA but I know people like Arnold Schwarzenegger wouldn't be able to run if you must be born in the USA but I thought that law was changed.

Favorite Answer

A publisher who printed a pamphlet about a book Obama was to write because he was President of the Law Review says he was born in Kenya. Phillip Berg, a democrat and attorney who supported Hillary Clinton for president, started the whole thing with some very convincing information but the judge said he didn't have standing to bring the law suit. Then 25 others sued also. So far one judge has heard the case. A female attorney has been working on this case since Obama was elected.

Mitt's relatives in Mexico are US citizens as was his father and mother.

• harrys8 months agoReport

citizen no matter where he was born.
      This protects children of US citizen mothers who are illicitly fathered by non-citizens from being rendered stateless. The mother can return to the United States with her child without her child's citizenship being in doubt. A statement of foreign birth is filed.

Here's the real story, from people who have done research on it. The question started out as an academic "What-if" musing on a prominent legal blog, then exploded when anti-Obama/pro-Hillary supporters saw it as a way to get Hillary the nomination instead of Obama. It all dates back to the Spring and Summer of 2008.

http://birthofanotion.com/home/the-secret-origin-o...

http://birthofanotion.com/home/secret-origin-part-...

Obama never said his BC was private. He released it in June 2008, less than a week after a writer on the National Review Online called on Obama to release it. The document he released was the only form of birth certificate that Hawaii has used since 2001.

A president needs to be a "natural born citizen", over age 35, and 14 years a resident of the US. A natural born citizen is either 1) born in the US, 2) born anywhere in the world to 2 citizen parents, OR 3) born anywhere in the world to 1 citizen parent with some residency restrictions. Arnold has never been able to run for president, but his supporters in 2004 tried to get traction on a constitutional amendment to change that. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/595096558/Hatch... It was called the "Equal Opportunity to Govern Amendment" AKA "the Arnold Bill."

Source(s): Research
    • harrys8 months agoReport

And one must have been domiciled in the US for fourteen years.

I don't know who started the Kenya stupidity. He never said that his birth certificate is private. Everyone running for president has to have his/her citizenship verified. It probably started because his father was born in Kenya and yes, I think that there is some racism involved. There was a reporter who called Obama's grandmother, or step grandmother, in Kenya to ask where her grandson was born, meaning Obama. The interrupter said son instead of grandson, and she answered Kenya. (I heard the tape,but it was pretty poor quality.) I would not be surprised if it were the Hillary camp who started some of this nonsense. The birthers would not have gotten far with this if Obama's parents had still been alive.

Romney doesn't have Mexican relatives.. His grandfather fled to Mexico because he had more than one wife. They were American citizens and never gave that up.

According to the Constitution, all Presidents must be born in the United States. Because of that, there was talk of amending the Constitution, so that Schwarzenegger could run, back when he was the darling of the Republican Party. He never was or ran for the presidency, just the governorship of California. When he became less popular, the talk of amending the Constitution died out.

The rumors were/are a product of paranoid delusion brought on by the inability of some Americans to cope with the reality of a non-white President.

• harrys8 months agoReport

Not only "in" (on soil subject to the jurisdiction of) the US. Being born anywhere to US citizen parents makes one a natural born US citizen.

There are several reasons: Obama has never allowed an original birth certificate to be released. There are no hospital records available showing he was born in Hawaii. The only public record is an announcement in the newspaper that could have been place by his grandparents. The address given for the parents is that of the grandparents. If Obama were to authorize the release of all the records all of this would be cleard up. Why doesn't he do it?

• harrys8 months agoReport

According to then-governor of Hawaii Abercrombie the state did not have a birth certificate on file for Barack Hussein Obama. The later revealed purported birth certificate was highly irregular showing signs of having been "photoshopped" and out of order.

Intense Youtube Videos, who claim to know supreme knowledge over all. A bunch of nutjobs..

Conservatives dorks think that Kansas is a province in Kenya since they sound so similar. If Obama's mother is from Kansas, then they reason that Obama must have been born in Kenya. Kansas, Kenya, they got to be the same.

Black skin - that's all it is.

Karl Rove just sat down with a pencil and figured out a number of ways he could call Obama a N*gger without actually calling him that. "Arrogant" is a good one because Black field hands were never supposed to look Whitey in the eye.... and Obama looks Whitey in the eye.

"Muslim" and "Kenya" just conjure up a vision in stupid people's tiny little "minds" of a "foreign"/"bad guy" - black and dangerous.

All this is just Karl Rove lies. It's not really very important except that truly ugly racist stupid people suck up these lies like a fly sucks up dead flesh.

he has a brother or step-brother who was born in Kenya, we thought that guy knew what he was talking about.

His grandma 0bama said he was born there.

And it's articles like this from before he ran for President that have people wondering...

http://web.archive.org/web/20040627142700/eastanda...