What is the origin of the rumors that Obama was born in Kenya?

I am not saying Obama was born in Kenya at all and I know the rumors are false. But, I am wondering what the origin of those rumors was. He was elected to the Senate and has a book detailing his life and so had he lied in his book and been born overseas then that would have been learned long before he was elected.... show more I am not saying Obama was born in Kenya at all and I know the rumors are false. But, I am wondering what the origin of those rumors was. He was elected to the Senate and has a book detailing his life and so had he lied in his book and been born overseas then that would have been learned long before he was elected. I know he has Kenyan relatives but Mitt Romney has Mexican relatives and no one is bringing it up. Was it only because Obama said his birth certificate was private and did not show it until recently that this rumor continued? Was it racism? And when did this rumor start as was it during the primaries in 2008, not until the months leading up to the general election, or back before 2004 when he was thinking of running for Senate? I am not voting for Obama because of the economy and a Pro-Life approach I have and disagree with him on. But, I like Obama and think he is a good person and fair president, not great but fair. So this is not a Democrat asking this as I voted for McCain and am voting for Romney, but I wondered where on earth the rumors about his birth certificate got started.
Also, does a president have to be born in the USA still to be able to be sworn in? I thought he just had to be a US citizen for a certain period of time. Obviously Obama was born in the USA but I know people like Arnold Schwarzenegger wouldn't be able to run if you must be born in the USA but I thought that law was changed.