Why is the timer switch I installed causing the light it is connected to to flicker?

I just installed a programmable timer switch to the gang panel housing the switch for my porch light. The wire colors provided are black, blue, and green. I connected the wires correctly (black to black, blue to red, and green to ground. I programmed the light correctly, but now the light flickers and gives off a humming sound. What did I do wrong? There are no loose connections.

It is a CFL bulb. 120v 60hz.

Favorite Answer

Just because the colors match doesnt mean its wiring correctly. Anyone can wire a red wire ANYWHERE. What matters is that the constant hot wire goes to the right place on the timer, and the switch leg, or wire going to the light goes to the right place on the timer. Use electrical meters to determin which is which. Im guessing black is constant hot and blue it to the light? Also make sure you wire the timer/dimmer/sensor up with the power OFF. If not you may have fried the circuitry in the timer.

That said, you may very well have wired the timer correctly. But you may have the wrong light bulb in place. Electronic timers, dimmers, and sensors mostly work with incandescent bulbs. If you have a flourescent or LED bulb, it may not work. Check to see if the timer is compatible with the lamp, THEN check to see if the lamp is compatible with the timer!

Example: some flourescents and LEDs are dimmable. But that doesnt mean they work with every dimmer. And even if they are dimmable it doesnt mean the work with other electronic switching devices like timers, motions sensors, programable light controls etc.

Basically an LED and flourescent lamp uses electronics to alter the electricty to make it suiitable for the new technology, The problem occurs when the electronic timer or device ALSO alters this same electicity and the two do not mix well. You can get two electronics messing each other up.

Source(s): Electrician San Diego, CA
  • Tony

Sometimes those specialty controls don't work well with CFL's or with LED lighting. I've run into a similar problem with motion sensor light switches. In my laundry room I have two standard fluorescent light fixtures. I decided that entering the laundry room in the dark wasn't a good idea but putting the basket down and hitting the switch was an inconvenience. So I installed a motion sensor. The lights never went completely off. They flickered. But when I plugged a regular incandescent light the fluorescents would go completely off. And the motion sensor in the basement hallway - when I installed an LED lamp it NEVER went off. I even tried reversing the hot and neutral wires at the lamp. Still no effect.

Just some switches don't do well with loads other than that of an incandescent lamp. Try a different bulb and see what happens. If it still flickers then there's something wrong with either your wiring (doubtful) or there's something wrong with the programmable switch.

Hope this helps.

'av'a g'day mate.

")

• papach

Programmable Light Timer

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I just installed a programmable timer switch to the gang panel housing the switch for my porch light. The wire colors provided are black, blue, and green. I connected the wires correctly (black to black, blue to red, and green to ground. I programmed the light correctly, but now the light flickers...

Source(s): timer switch installed causing light connected flicker: https://tr.im/BJpfc

Timer Light Switch Programmable

Don't consider that is true