Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Why do atheists hate religions?

So I have a question why do atheists hate religions it dosnt make sense to me here's how I put it if you are an atheist what if there is a god and you are wrong just think about it if you believe in god and it turns out god is not real you lose nothing so dosnt it make sense to believe in a god. Just my two sense and I dont know why people judge religions so hard because honestly isn't it better to believe in something and have better morals in life than none at all.

Jcsaves you are totally right they do whine and cry over the wager to completly ignore my questiin I asked a simple thing and they get all defensive about religions when religions hurt noone its rediculous this is what I meant by hating religions all of you say you don't hate them but your arguments defy thenselves as you hating religions including the fact that I'm not religious I just don't see why so much hate against peoples beliefs and morals can be criticized to this extreme on this lovely planet.

And im not talking about Jesus or any god like that im talking about every one there is not talking about just one and im not grouping all atheists together as i said im not religious and i know alot of atheists that are nice and have great morals.

And by the way pascals wager is logic and in no way can be proven wrong!!!

Best Answer

lol. They whine and cry about Pascals wager........they do so to conveniently ignore answering you. Jeremiah 20:11 God Bless

Source(s): Jesus saves

First, show that atheists hate religion. You have no evidence that all of them do.

Second, show evidence that any god exists.

The religious have had many thousands of years to do this and they have never produced anything at all.

Then show evidence that this god, if it exists, is the god that you happen to believe in.

Scriptures, prophecies and supposed miracles written up in them do not count, since the witnesses, if any, are long dead and cannot be interviewed and there is no physical evidence of many of the major events supposed to have happened. There is also no evidence that the prophecies were not inserted later or that they were not obviously going to happen sometime, like a dead tree eventually going to fall over. Further, the subjects of these supposed prophecies often cannot be clearly identified and there is usually no indication when these thing were going to happen. Where prophecies have been specific, they have been wrong in some detail or other.

The religious keep repeating long refuted arguments like Pascal's Wager ("what if there is a god") and the ontological argument.

Some supposedly religious people are liars - the "bore hole to Hell", the "Satanic ritual abuse of infants", young Earth creationism and so forth. Most Christian theologians outside the USA would also argue that the rapture is nonsense.

Morality has nothing to do with religion, it is a logical response to being a social organism and is present in some form in all human societies. Most moral precepts can be derived and thought out by any reasonably intelligent man or woman. There have been religions with a moral code and there have been religions without a moral code. The fact that any religion may have a primitive or highly developed moral code does not mean it was given by any god, it means it was inserted into the religious doctrine by men and / or women.

EDIT "religions hurt noone" Utter hogwash.

Hypatia, a female scholar was murdered by a Christan mob in Alexandria in 415. In 1600, Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake, partially because of his unconventional religious views. He was not the last by a very long way.

On September 11, 2001, 2996 people died because of religiously inspired attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the White House, which last failed though all the people in the plane died.

Similar attacks based on religion have been carried out before and since, including the fire bombing of a night club in Bali, and bombing of trains in Madrid and London. After extensive historical research, it might be possible to work out about how many have been killed because of religion. It must be in the tens if not hundreds of thousands.

There is no logic to Pascal's wager because you cannot fake belief, as any real god would know.

Don't generalize. I do hate them however, since they're BULLSHIT. Pascal's wager fails on so many levels it isn't even funny. If there is no god, you will have wasted your life praying for nothing while we live the real life. That argument also totally IGNORES all other religions, since they could be correct. Also, I think a god prefers an atheist over someone who worships the wrong god. You have a 1 in like 39493493849384 chance of believing in the right god, so it's safer to become an atheist. The argument also assumes that, if there was a god, he would hate atheists, which isn't necessarily the case.

I don't hate religions but find beliefs to be a silly waste of time.

There are several flaws in Pascal's wager, the argument you are using. Look it up in Wikipedia.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

I've always felt that Pascal's wager was an appeal to being a coward and not being honest with yourself. It appeals to those who don't ask the hard questions.

There is another thing that bothers me about the wager and that is the belief in a God who would punish people for eternity for not being submissive to the irrationality of religious beliefs. Religious beliefs make no sense. Such a God would be more horrible and evil than the worse human you can imagine, who only have finite ability of creating pain. Even if such a God existed, I could find no honor is worshiping such an evil diety. Fortunately there is no evidence such a monster exists.

Firstly, you can't say atheists hate religion, because not all atheists hate religion. Plus the word atheist is such a broad way to group so many different types of people. There are the ones who openly say I do not believe in God and you are crazy for doing so, there are ones like me who actually find religion incredibly interesting and want to learn more about it and then there is everyone else in between. Also being an atheist does NOT mean you don't have any morals. I have many morals of people who are religious and I tend to follow them more strictly that those who claim to religious.

But the part about hating religions. Maybe some of them don't have any respect because of how impossible it seems. Part of the reason I don't believe in a supernatural power is because I have no proof and also because when I've looked at the way things are, the way they really are without bias, a lot the things religion claims, does not make any sense. An example would be, in Christianity (i'm using this one because I know they most about it) it says that the earth wasn't created until about 2000 years ago. Okay. Well what about dinosaurs. Those are MILLIONS of years old. But also think of other factors. What about all of the remain of PEOPLE before Christ. They're tens of thousands of years old too. The bible says that we are judged after death based on our actions during our lives. It also says that if we don't know about the religion we will not be held accountable for our actions.

Ex) If we learn about Christianity but reject it, but live a good life, respecting morals and doing good things like helping people, being respectful, donating to charity, etc we will be damned to hell. But then a man who lived in the Amazon who had never heard of Christianity but killed many people and raped women and young girls would still get to go to heaven. This makes no sense. It doesn't add up.

So maybe that's why some atheists hate religion. Because people have up these standards and they judge you and they say things because a book told them it was true. I can't speak for all of them, but I am speaking for me. And that is what I believe. But don't say atheists hate religion, because not all of us do.

Source(s): me
  • Shade

And what if we're both wrong? There is more then one religion and some of those religions carry steeper penalties for worshiping a false god then simply not believing at all. You can't presume that if I'm wrong you're automatically right, because there's hundreds of thousands of gods, each of which is as about as likely as the last. If we wont to play with that kind of reasoning, we should all pay lip service to the religion with the steepest punishment.

That is why pascal's wager fails.

I recently saw a thread with a Christian who had cheated on their spouse and said they had confessed to god but not their spouse who they cheated on. The theist commenters said that was good enough and there was no need to own up to it and take personal responsibility. I told him to to buck up, apologise and make amends to the person he actually wronged instead of shirking responsibility.

Which do you think is more moral?

First of all, which god are you talking about? I hate religion because it makes otherwise rational human beings believe in the impossible which is a very unhealthy outlook on life. Believing space wizards is a destructive notion. Pascal's wager doesn't work for so many reasons, there are more made up gods than just yours and it is nothing more than propaganda fear tactics. The phrase is "my two cents"... You, believing in space wizards, doesn't give you better morals than I.

• Anon

A) I don't hate religion. Just some of its followers.

B) Morals don't come from religion. The fact that society has deemed slavery and gender inequality wrong despite its prevalance in ancient books is a testament to that. Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I go around being immoral. That's so ignorant.

C) There millions of gods I could choose from. It's an impossible game you're presenting. You should really consider giving this a watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZpJ7yUPwdU

Youtube thumbnail

Jeros- what you see as faith ( happy blissful pleasure joy) is not what I see as faith (unhappy unhappy hate hate ) which is a part of the challenge. I will admit faith or devout folks within the name of faith do some just right ( bringing food to individuals ) however I additionally see the dangerous. You admit the same matters however suppose the good outweighs the unhealthy ( exceptionally if you depend within the whole heaven thing and with ease ignore the entire hell thing ).Suffering , if God exists, IS Gods fault b/c he's omnipotent. Much the identical manner if you happen to let your baby play with a nest of ants and she will get included with antbites it's your fault she suffers.'is not that hypocritical?/yes, it's' - why do you ask if you're just going to reply?- As for hating faith, you must appreciate why we hate faith (and no longer ALL religion and no longer even all christianity. Not the Amish for example )- it can be due to the fact we outline it as virtually the worst factor to ever exist. We see it as a quandary to scientific growth and consequently the curing of illnesses and the production of more fertile farming tactics and on and on. Science has a proven monitor record of helping mankind. Faith does not. Religion has a track file of serving to wars and oppression. Science would not. So, you see Strawberry Shortcake and we see the monster from the Aliens films.

I don't hate religions. I get on well with just about everyone, religious or not. I put forward my views on religious beliefs and I read those of others. I know that those with deeply held religious beliefs aren't going to change, and it isn't my intention to get them to change. However, it does show that there are other views.

I sometimes explain how I came from being a devout Catholic to realising that faith was based upon nothing but itself, that science explained nature satisfactorily without needing supernatural beings, and that religious beliefs were no different to those of ancient beliefs in gods and goddesses. I try to answer based on my knowledge of scripture, theology, mythology and religion. And I sometimes try to trace religious beliefs, and Bible stories, back to the earlier myths from which they derive.

I think I do so in a neutral manner most of the time, although I might express an opinion concerning actions of a few religious people or organisations that adversely affect freedom of choice and civil and human rights, such as the infamous Proposition 8 in California.

I wonder if your assertion about hating religions is based on scripture such as "He that is not with me is against me" (Matthew 12:30 and Luke 11:23). That seems to teach believers that those who don't believe as they do are not neutral but enemies. Nothing could be further from the truth.

As regards what you say below the question, This argument was famously put forward by Blaise Pascal. He was a mathematician, physicist, inventor, writer and Catholic philosopher. And his achievements were many. However, his so-called "wager" isn't considered reasonable by many. His wager was that even though the existence of God cannot be determined through reason, you should behave as though God exists, because then if He does exist you gain after death, and if He doesn't you lose nothing.

The problem with such a wager is that it is purely mathematical and treats the topic as a game of chance. Unfortunately, even then it doesn't take account of the many religions, sects and cults, nor the innumerable gods and goddesses that are and have been believed in. Voltaire is quoted as describing the wager as "indecent and childish... the interest I have to believe a thing is no proof that such a thing exists." I think you'll find that this is the only one of his many ideas with which he is associated in this section. It doesn't detract from his real accomplishments.

People who don’t believe in God or gods, or supernatural beings generally, make choices and have the same basic morality as everyone else, as part of the complex behaviour patterns that evolved in our species, and others. When several behaviour patterns conflict in a given situation, our upbringing, experience, need to live as part of a community, and the satisfying chemical changes that evolved to happen in our brains when we do someone a favour, determine which to suppress; this is often done subconsciously, but can sometimes be conscious (which might be what we experience as conscience). And when this goes wrong, we have remedies as a species codified in laws, penalties and punishments.

Having experience of life, I base my choices on mutual respect and compassion for others.

I just don't attribute the origin of moral behaviour to mythical beings, or claim that the way we resolve conflicting behaviour patterns consciously is through something supernatural or that the conscience is supernatural or comes from a supernatural being.

Three reasons:

1 - Religions spread lies and indoctrinate innocent children

2 - Religions are incredibly divisive - even Christianity has dozens of sects and schisms

3 - For centuries, Christians burned atheists to death. Today apostasy is still punishable by death in many Muslim countries

Pascal's wager doesn't work, because it's impossible to believe in all the gods just in case, and a real god would know if I was faking it.