I was disabled at 19 and get ssd and i want to move to the Philippines and can i still get my ssd?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

Yes Sean. SSI and SSD are federal benefits - not state benefits - which means that you can live anywhere in the United States and still receive your benefit. And if you are really getting SSD instead of SSI you can even live outside of the US (with a couple of exceptions) and still receive your benefits.

People who get SSI aren't entitled if they are outside of the US for over 30 days unless they live in the Northern Marianna Islands so if the Philippines is in the Northern Marianna Islands then they would continue to be eligible for SSI - otherwise no.

Social Security benefits are paid on the 3rd of the month or on a Wednesday. SSI benefits are paid on the 1st of the month.

Source(s): I was a social security claims rep for 32 years.

Interesting question considering your age and where you want to move to. If it's a straight out move with no background like I'm about to suggest, then Judith gave you a clear answer.

BUT, if you're really on SSI as a child from Filipino parents and one of those parents served in the US armed service for over 20 years, then I know the US and the Philippines have an unusual, distinct agreement that changes this whole question on its ear. If that's the case, you'll want to call Social Security to find out. That is such a little known agreement, there aren't many who can answer that specific question and I don't know if it extends to Social Security for kid's of service people from the Philippines.

I'd like to know how you get SSD at 19.

• sammi

no