Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Bill Nye comments on Creationism- Opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHbYJfwFgOU

Youtube thumbnail

Any opinions? (Link above: Bill Nye comments on evolution.)

According to Bill, denial of evolution is apparently "unique to the United States." Is this true? (Inspired by this question:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AvNFn... Please do not be rude, I just want to hear people express their opinions on this video.

Favorite Answer

I wouldn't say it's "UNIQUE to the United States". It shows up in other highly religious countries, like Turkey for example. I don't think he was claiming that it shows up only in the US, but was pointing out that many other countries see this ridiculous "debate" going on in the US and wonder why it even exists, when the evidence for evolution has already been well established.

@Dawn: I first learned about evolution in a private school, in a biology class taught by a monk, who obviously had no conflict of faith regarding the topic. So your argument fails.

• Nous

It is very, very nearly absolutely true!

It seems all the creationist/ID sects and cults are american and the only time you find it in other countries is when those sects and cults have expat americans living there!

It is no surprise since whilst thw West was developing America was at the frontier stage and vulnerable to the quack preachers who took advantage of them!

The Pope, Catholic Church, Church of England and mainstream churches all accept the big bang and evolution!

Lord Carey the former Archbishop of Canterbury put it rather well – “Creationism is the fruit of a fundamentalist approach to scripture, ignoring scholarship and critical learning, and confusing different understandings of truth”!

Nice that christians and atheists can agree and laugh together even if it is at fundie expense!

But behind the laughter is the despair at the fundamentalists striving so hard to destroy christianity by turning it from a religion to an ideology!

Surveys suggest that 29% of American christians are so extremist in their beliefs that they fall well outside of the accepted bounds of christianity!

• Wing

" denial of evolution is apparently "unique to the United States." Is this true?"

It's true. Turkey is the only Western country that has more people who deny evolution than the US, and you can barely call Turkey Western anyway.

In Japan 80% of adults accept evolution. In the US its 40%; almost third-world levels.

I certainly accept Natural selection as fact. But what I fail to understand is why so many people have faith in evolution. Their faith is so strong in evolution that it obscures them from the truth. Why don't people objectively look at the debate from both sides, and objectively decide on their own what to believe? I just think it's dangerous to credulously accept what scientists tell us without having at least a moderate degree of skepticism.

Source(s): Christian.

Why can you never find a creationist when you really need one? Bill Nye needed one when there were none to be found. He couldn't even find them in the yellow pages. What?

.

I can see why it would be hard to loose the idea of a creator... it's kind of scary. I have to agree that this is not unique to the united states. I am happy to say that Buddhist believe in science :)

I think Bill Nye had a few strange facts, but I believe in the point of it.

BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY!!!

video, i aint watching it ... my opinion .. belief in evolution is entirely a function of public school indoctrination .. you wont find a home schooled or private school educated person that doesnt question it OR question the system ... the bottom line is education in its 'public' form was meant to turn out what the UN terms ' a well rounded world citizen' .. that is, a good producer and consumer ...