promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 years ago

question about owning guns? buying guns at a gun show?

is it true that at gun shows you can buy guns without having to perform a background check or show or sign paperwork?

if it is true that you can do this, what about taking the weapons home?

what if you get pulled over by a cop?

what about storing the weapon or weapons in my home when I return home? is it legal to do so?

Update:

the state im wondering about is texas

5 Answers

Relevance
  • lcr000
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

in the states that have gun shows it is legal and what you do with them is your business, but if you dont already know you should no be buying any firearms until you have had a basic firearms safety course

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

As with almost every question concerning gun laws, it depends on what state you live in.

What you are talking about are private party sales, where a guy sets up a table and maybe sells from his personal collection, and are not subject to any background check. Just a exchange of cash and a handshake and you are on your way.

Many states have outlawed this, but many have not. My state of California has outlawed this. Yes, you can buy from a private party, but the transfer must be handled by a license dealer, in full compliance with state and federal gun laws.

As for transport and storage, again, without knowing what state, I can't really help you.

UPDATE: Texas has the gun show loophole. Look for a guy with a table set up and look for a sign saying something like "Private Party" or something like that. This is a guy just selling out of his personal collection. An exchange of cash and a handshake are all that's needed to buy a gun.

• 8 years ago

No. If you buy a gun at a gun show, you have to go through the same background checks and fill out the same federal paperwork you would if you were buying it at a gun shop. Your state law (and sometimes county or city ordinances) dictate how you can carry weapons in your car or on your person and how they have to be stored at home. States like California, Illinois New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts tend to be very restrictive. Check your state and any local laws that may apply.

• 5 years ago

There are a couple of states that do not perform a background check at gunshows. I dont think Arizona does and a few more are in the same boat.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jay L
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

it depends on your state and local laws. but generally you are allowed to transport legal weapons to & from your home.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.