Would you like or dislike this about a character?

In a romance novel, or just a romance storyline, one of the couple is American and only speaks English, while the other half is from another country and speaks English and at least one other language. The multi-language speaker often throwing in bits and pieces of his or her other language as compliments and sweet talking to his or her lover. Would you like that, hate it, find it annoying or cheesy, or what?

Personally I would like that, as long as it's done sparingly.

Favorite Answer

As long as it's done sparingly, that would be OK. In my story, one half of a couple comes from Germany and the other half has a German mother and spends a lot of time in the country, so they occasionally speak in to each other in German. Your idea sounds similar so I wouldn't mind it.

• bentz

the failings which could make me dislike a personality are a similar flaws which could make me dislike (or a minimum of stay faraway from) someone in authentic existence - being loud, obnoxious, ignorant, aggressive, volatile, overdramatic or lacking in elementary experience. yet not all major characters are meant to be beloved. Take Sebastian Faulks' personality 'Engleby'...he's disturbed, narcissistic and cynical, and that i don't believe of the reader is meant to 'like' him, regardless of if that's a first man or woman narrative. yet he's likewise psychologically beautiful, and that is what keeps the reader in touch. in case your personality changed into meant to be beloved yet is extremely annoying, then that's a fail. yet when the novel changed into meant to locate the concepts of someone who's volatile or deranged or stupidly naive, then i visit nevertheless earnings from the novel without liking or figuring out with the nature.

extremely tough matter. browse with google and yahoo. that might help!

Well in my opinion if you are a good writer like it seems to me you are I would find it intresting, but if you are not careful it could be very confusing

Hope this is useful for you

• Lv 7

I have no problem with it...though it seems as if this character is not so much courting as flouting his superiority to his lover, as if trying to establish himself as the dominant partner.