Pokemon Platinum - Best EV training?

Are attack and special attack completely seperate? e.g. high attack doesnt influence spec attack at all?

For the following pokemon what is the best way to max them out?

- Torterra

- Houndoom

- Electavire

- Brozong

- Gliscor

- Azumarril

Please say like:

Torterra:

1- Spec attack - max

2- Hp and def - half each

or whatever.

Thanks in advance.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Are attack and special attack completely seperate? e.g. high attack doesnt influence spec attack at all?"

Attack and Special Attack are independent values, they don't affect each other.

"For the following pokemon what is the best way to max them out?"

This depends on your goal. Do you want to use the team for competitive battles, in-game, post-game or Battle Frontier?

If this is for competitive battles, go to smogon.com

They have extensive analysis pages for each Pokemon. Sometimes, the right Hidden Power will be impossible to obtain without manipulating the complicated RNG or using a hacking device. You will also have to breed until they have the right IVs and Nature, which can take a while. Also, I didn't count on this being competitive in my last answer. If you want to make a competitive team, you need to drastically revise it. The team you have now is not set to a specific tier. Smogon has rules, and not everyone is able to play by them, considering the amount of effort it takes to acquire flawless Pokemon and the access you will need to specific events, and Pokemon from other games. Also, the Generation 4 metagame has kind of died out, everyone is playing Generation 5 now.

Bottom line is, if you want to make this team, or any team, for competitive Generation 4 wi-fi, you will need to accept that it can't be perfect. Something I personally have trouble with.

An in-game team is kind of the opposite. Most people - even if they otherwise battle competitively - don't EV train their in-game team, because most EV-training items and places can't be reached until you have completed the game.

I've personally EV-trained my SoulSilver team when I first started out, but it's very difficult to do, because you don't even have money for Vitamins yet. You will have to improvise (often making small mistakes), put up with less ideal IVs, and actually beat those 508 Pokemon. For me, it took the fun out of the game. Not only because it was such a tedious thing to do, but also because the battles afterwards were simply too easy, the game wasn't challenging at all.

Anyway, you team would be perfect for in-game, because of the type synergy. My advice is to not EV-train them though.

If this is for post-game, you will have the items, and the EV-training spots available. Maybe you'll even have PokéRus. For the sake of having a team on your cartridge that you can be proud of, you can start breeding and training.

Battle Frontier is kind of the same story, but with 3 Pokemon instead of 6.

You can also try for a core of 3 Pokemon that you can use at the Battle Frontier, and 3 others to support it outside of it.

I suggest a core of:

Azumarril @ Choice Band

Ability: Huge Power

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Aqua Jet

- Waterfall

- Ice Punch

- Superpower

Electivire @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Motor Drive

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- ThunderPunch

- Ice Punch

- Brick Break

- Earthquake

And instead of Gliscor a Gengar (still Bug- and Fighting-type resistances, but more offensive and a bit of extra Speed in your team, sorry for not thinking of it in my last answer).

Gengar @ Focus Sash

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd

Timid Nature

- Thunderbolt

- Focus Blast / Counter

- Shadow Ball

- Destiny Bond

(Focus Blast vs. Counter = hax vs. prediction skills)

Sorry for not describing the sets, Y!A words limit creeping.

The rest of the team:

Bronzong @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD

IVs: 0 Speed

Relaxed Nature

- Explosion

- Gyro Ball

- Hypnosis

- Payback

Houndoom @ Passho Berry

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

- Taunt

- Nasty Plot

- Dark Pulse

- Flamethrower

Torterra @ Life Orb

Ability: Overgrow

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Rock Polish

- Stone Edge

- Earthquake

- Seed Bomb

-dies-

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

It depends on what you want to do with each pokemon, which role it should play in the battle.

So check out this page, its awesome:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/

If you click on a pokemon it shows you most common roles and advice how to use them effectively and of course which EVs to max for that role

and yeah like you said if you just use for example special attacks like Psychic the pokemons attack value doesnt matter.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Good for speed im prety sure 2 raticates = 1 point 2 ferrows = 1 speed point and four rattatta or 4 spearow=1 point. Velocity is the one one i know off the highest of my head the others i would have too seem into and to be sincere im just a little too lazy to do that right now lol

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.