Is it illegal to be driving through an area (city, county etc) that has a pit bull ban?

If you're a long distance trucker and want to take your pit on the road w/you, is it illegal to go through areas (city, county, etc) w/the animal if you don't stop or let your dog out of your vehicle? Are the restrictions and bans in some areas just for residents?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • KevinM
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You would have a good legal case that the ban does not apply to you if you're only driving through the town, as long as you don't let the dog out of your truck. It's not reasonable, as a long distance truck driver, for you to be familiar with all the ordinances of every town you pass through as you travel cross country.

The precedent for this is in the Airline industry. Persons on board airplanes are specifically and explicitly exempt from the rules and regulations of the townships they pass over. How could anyone know if they're violating an ordinance in a town 30,000 feet below them that they've never been to?

That being said, if you get pulled over be nice to the police officer and he probably won't cite you. If you get a ticket, you'll probably have to pay it - arguing the case with a lawyer would cost more than the ticket.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Gary B
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

it depends on the nature of the ban,

if the area bans OWNERSHIP of such animals, then the ban extends only to residents, and so long as YOUR animals is never seen, or kept on a leash in properly designated "dog walk" areas, you should have no trouble.

But if the ban concerns DISPLAYING such an animal (like, taking it for a walk) then you MIGHT be in trouble if you stop to let the dog relieve itself.

In any case, you should not be concerned unless you STOP your vehicle and let the dog out of the vehicle, leashed or not. Keep moving, and there is no problem.

But be careful! Watch your speed and the condition of your equipment! If you were to get stopped for a bad tailight, and the dog managed to bite the cop . . . .

• kirker
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

CollegeGRAD and jasonT........... i wished to get you first because of the fact your the two ignorant and boy i purely love correcting lack of understanding if given the possibility. Pit bulls have been bred to combat that would desire to be staggering, jason, in the event that they attack yet another canine that does no longer recommend they are going to attack a newborn or a grown individual. in actuality , with out going into info, the stress of the APBT that's commonplace as being the scuffling with canine is the canine maximum in all hazard to no longer chew a individual OR newborn for extremely stable reason ,yet i wont even attempt to describe on your feeble little concepts. CollegeGRAD, you're able to have stored your remark to your self. ITs particularly obvious you purely necessary 2 factors when you consider which you dont have a clue what your speaking approximately. Now for the actual query, what could i do if my city banned my canine? no longer something, i dont stay in a city.........yet while i did stay in a city and it grow to be ever even proposed to introduce BSL........you extra beneficial have faith me and my canine could be on the front steps of city corridor ASAP. If we enable the government run over the pit bull, the morons that have been given this began out are purely going to %. yet another canine breed to wreck...........and on and on till there are not any canine left..........then what? cats? Heres something i think of legislature could evaluate- How approximately instead of wanting a enable to very own a pit bull ...........you nevertheless might desire to have a enable, yet you're able to desire to circulate via finding out or standards might desire to be met to ensure which you to very own one. Say, your denims might desire to be above your waist at first, perhaps you cant have any felonies interior the previous 3 yrs and you're able to desire to grant the canine a stable existence . perhaps the government might desire to even deliver out workers to ensure like they do with the dept of youngster centers. You human beings purely dont understand that telling us what variety of a canine we are in a position to very own is barely between the various steps which will ultimately turn this u . s . a . right into a totalotarion nazi wanna be bumble ****. Of which isn't too a strategies from authentic now.

• 7 years ago

Why in world would someone want to drag along a dog on a long haul, let alone a pit pull?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

just put him to sleep, problem solved

you're welcome

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.