what law enforcement agency should i work for?

im am in college and majoring in criminal justice. i am from northern virginia and i am wondering which law enforcement agency i should try to work for. i would prefer a federal agency like the DEA but which ones are the easiest to work for right after college? any thoughts and input would be nice

3 Answers

Relevance
  • drdr
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There are numerous special agent positions (see list below, not all have full arrest, search, and seizure authority), in what was and I assume still is the 1811 job series (1810 are unarmed investigators without arrest authority). There are also law enforcement related positions in the Dept of Homeland Security and other agencies, such as inspector positions or Border Patrol agents, that could be open to those with 2 years of college or less. And, there are federal police officers within federal agencies (e.g., Dept of Veterans Affairs, Treasury, Federal Protective Service). Agencies:

ATF, Customs and Border Protection (uniform wearing: Border Patrol Agent, Officers), DEA, Dept of Def, Dept of State, Dept of Homeland Sec (ICE, TSA), Dept of Labor, EPA, FBI, FDA, Fish & Wildlife (few positions, many applicants), Inspector General Offices within departments and/or agencies, IRS, Marshals Service, Secret Svc, Securities Exchange Commission, and each branch of the Armed Forces (some civilian, some active duty).

Apply at as many places as possible, and accept the first offer. Then, if that’s not where you want to be, keep applying to the agency you want. Meeting mimimum qualifications are unlikely to secure a position. In my experience, hiring decisions are made based on college GPA (above 3.5 is a plus), written examinations, physical fitness (possibly physical test results), work experience, possibly a polygraph, ability to communicate orally and in writing, foreign language ability, and graduate/law degrees. There are always more applicants than there are positions.

Rather than waiting for cyclical openings, it may be necessary to start with local, county, or state LE in order to gain related experience.

Source(s): Retired fed spec agent (NCIS [when it was NIS], Customs, & finally Homeland Sec), former criminal justice adj professor, TX peace officer certification (inactive), TX licensed PI, TX investigative hypnosis certification, former tactical team member, sat on hiring panels for two fed agencies, defensive tactics and firearms instructor for two federal agencies, formerly USMC Military Police officer & enlisted (to include CID)
  • J.W.
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It might be a good idea to apply with as many agencies that are hiring, that you qualify for, and that you are able to. Getting law enforcement officer jobs is becoming more and more competitive. When agencies are hiring, they usually have many qualified applicants for a relatively small number of open positions. Consider local, state, and federal law enforcement officer jobs. It is great that you are getting a college degree. Getting a college degree is one of the best things that you can do if you want to become a law enforcement officer. Make the most of your time and money while in college. Get the highest grade point average that you can, participate in a couple extracurricular activities, get a good internship, do some regular volunteer work, don't do anything illegal, and maintain a good reputation. Consider getting an advanced degree. Do whatever else you can to make yourself the best candidate that you can. For example, keep a good driving record, don't get bad credit, improve all of your communication skills as much as possible, and become as physically fit as you can. Best of luck!

• 4 years ago

Johnny funds - Folsom detention center Blues Bob Marley - I Shot the Sheriff Ini Kamoze - call the Police Bruce Springsteen - street Patrolman Randy Newman - Jolly Coppers on Parade :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.