Bumblebee asked in SportsCycling · 8 years ago

Are walmart bikes good quality?

I just want a simple bike that I can take out to ride with friends and to school. The ones in walmart are 88 bux. Seems good to me! But will they last?

What about a 180 $ bike from walmart? Will tht be better quality just cuz it's 100 dollars more?

Favorite Answer

No, no & no. Wally World & other discount stores sell "Bicycle Shaped Objects" http://www.google.com/search?q=Bicycle+Shaped+Obje... in the TOY DEPT.!!!

Do you want a toy bike or a real bicycle? On top of the low quality components (parts), these so-called bicycles are slapped together in about 15 minutes by some minimum wage "associate". They are NEVER tuned-up before the sale. That is - brakes are never check for proper alignment, derailleurs are never checked to insure every gear shifts properly, wheels are not checked to make sure they turn true - no wobble, etc., etc.

A REAL bicycle shop mechanic will take up to an hour (or more) to assemble & tune-up the bike before it's ever placed on the showroom floor. Plus these bikes come with vastly superior components & a FREE follow up service warranty for another tune-up.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.” – Ben Franklin

A more expensive Walmart bike will have better components but it won't be assembled any better than a bike that sells for the lower price. However the cheaper parts on the $88 bike will wear out and break much sooner. Even $180 is a very cheap price for a bicycle. Better take some bike repair courses

• sixta

You received fooled, Walmart does not sell bikes, simplest objects that appear like bikes. Real bikes start at about $300 and are offered by bike shops (go determine). I'd not intellect Walmart "bicycles" if the informed you up entrance that they're low-priced pieces of junk so as to fall aside in the event you journey them too hard, and so heavy that all the pleasure of a longer ride is sucked out, then those want an actual bike would go someplace else, and people who only want the cheapest deal feasible would understand what they're surely getting.

• McG

Unfortunately there is very low quality in a $100 - $200 bicycle. Let's put that into perspective. The spending power of the dollar has diminished. Some large SUV's and Pick-Up trucks will drink over $100 to fill the fuel tanks. A bicycle should be worth more than one tank of fuel.

I did buy a high quality bicycle for $180... in 1968. Plug that into an inflation calculator and you will have to spend over $1100 of today to be equal.

What gives? Low quality, mass production. cheap stampings, Chinese labor rates, and no cost of set up at delivery to the customer.

The quality is the same on all the bikes at Wal-Mart. The higher cost ones have more content of low quality stuff on them.

Sorry. There is a reason they are sold in the Toy Department -- they are toys.

They are toy bikes, not what you need to actually ride around. Real bikes start at $300 for mountain and $600 for road. Lower than that and you are risking it.

Edit: Yesterday I went to the surpluss warehouse to see if I could pick some bikes being liquidated by the local university which sells bikes abandoned in the premises. I was looking for another restoration project. They had about 20 at $20 each. They were all W********* bikes. About 50-50 were Roadmaster. There may be a reason college students abandon them. Of course I didn't get any.

Yes I just bought a Wal Mart bike a few days ago, so I found it funny that I would stumble across this question. Honestly, it really depends on what you mean by "good." Judging from your question about how you just want a simple bike to ride with friends and to school, they are PERFECT.

I mean, I'm not like a freaking pro biker. I just take my bike out in the morning and ride 5 miles on the sidewalks for the hell of it just to exercise. The bike operates well. It gets me from Point A to Point B, it looks beautiful (of course everything looks beautiful to me if the price is low enough), and it's great. Not sure what else to say. If you want a simple bike, it's wonderful. I plan to use this bike for a fun triathlon that I'm doing with my sibling in a few months. My really athletic friend who already completed a triathlon used a Target bike and got a great time.

The only thing that may be wrong with a Wal Mart bike is the assembly of the bike. You might want to take the bike to a local bike store and see if they can check to see if the assembly is right and if anything is loose. They may fix it for you with a low price, but honestly nothing's wrong with the bike itself, it may be some lazy teenager at Wal Mart that just doesn't want to spend a lot of time assembling your bike.

By the way, I bought this bike: http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Ledge-2.1-Me...

$135 and fabulous. I probably wouldn't recommend getting the $88, just because when I saw it in the store they were ugly lol. As for the question, does the $135 bike have more quality and durability than the $88? No idea, the $135 just looked nicer and works well.

• Tex T

No, Walmart bikes are not good quality. Good quality bikes start at around $300 and are sold by bike shops.

• John M

Walmart bikes are junk you need to get around the $250 mark to get anything decent.

GMC Topkick Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike is Fabulous bike!!! It appears that they have thought of everything for the rider. Don't know about jumping or other extreme sports, but for everyday use it's right on. Workmanship is defined by the details and this bike has it. No sloppy welds anywhere.