Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 years ago

Was Henry Ford, founder of the Ford Motor Company anti-Jewish and if so, for what reason?

Do you think that his anti-Jewishness should discredit his contribution to the automobile manufacturing industry?

• Feivel
    Favorite Answer

YES! My family will not buy Fords to this day, for that reason.

He published an anti-Semitic newspaper called the Dearborne Independent. It was vile. He paid for all German school children to receive a copy of a proven forgery called The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion. No one is sure why he thought this but to be fair it was not that unusual for that time period and he had the money to act on his beliefs. He actually met with hitler a few times.

No, I do no think his anti-Semitism as a whole should discredit his contribution to the assembly line way of manufacturing cars. It was revolutionary. My family chooses not to buy Fords (and not only for that reason, we don't think they are that fantastic of a cars) but I think Ford contributed to the American (and world) automobile industry and that cannot and should be taken away from him.

He should be seen as a real person with real successes and real failures. His hatred of Jews was irrational and vicious. That was a failure. Putting cars in the hands of the common man, was a success. No one in history is all good or all bad (well, there are a few exceptions I suppose).

• Hannah

Yes he was. Ford was widely known for his pacifism during the first years of World War I, but also for being the publisher of antisemitic texts such as the book The International Jew.

However I don't think it diminishes what he accomplished.