Young-Adult novels with depth?

I love YA stand-alone novels with depth... I like romance in them, but most of the times it doesn't work and stands as a distraction to the greater meaning of the book, if you know what I mean.

Some of my favorite books in this genre are:

The Fault In Our Stars - John Green

What Happened To Lani Garver - Carol Plum-ucci

Please Ignore Vera Dietz - A.S King

Wake - Lisa Mcmann

Speak- Laurie Halse Anderson

The Sky Is Everywhere (not the whole love triangle thing- that was so stupid. I loved how hard it was for her to get over the death, and the pain she felt after losing someone so close to her. The poetry was amazing!) - Jandy Nelson

Identical - Ellen Hopkins

Impulse (Again, not for the love-triangle. The romance was badly constructed, but I still liked the book) - Ellen Hopkins

Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver

On the Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchette

The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I'm planning on reading the Perks of Being a Wallflower, by the way. (:

Thank you for your consideration! C:

• b97st
    Favorite Answer

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

Entangled by Cat Clarke

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Wasted by Marya Hornbacher

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

Before I Die By Jenny Downham

Cut by Patricia McCormick

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Some good selections - I really like Ellen Hopkins too. If you liked Impulse, check out the companion book Perfect which takes place from Connor's twin's point of view. If you liked Speak too, you might like her book Wintergirls about anorexia or Fever 1793. I really like her writing. If you liked John Green, try Looking for Alaska. Perks is a must read, you'll love it. I also recommend the classic Catcher in the Rye. I haven't read Before I Fall but I liked her dystopian book Delirium a lot more than I expected too. Others I'd recommend are Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime about a young boy with autism who realizes his life isn't what he's been told. Number the Stars is about a Jewish family during the Holocaust by Lois Lowry. She wrote a good dystopian as well, The Giver which is amazing. Of course the classic Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.

I love the young adult genre and those are some of my favorites anyway.

Happy reading!

"Paper Towns" by John Green Here's a review: Quentin—or “Q.” as everyone calls him—has known his neighbor, the fabulous Margo Roth Spiegelman, since they were two. Or has he? Q. can’t help but wonder, when, a month before high-school graduation, she vanishes. At first he worries that she might have committed suicide, but then he begins discovering clues that seem to have been left for him, which might reveal Margo’s whereabouts. Yet the more he and his pals learn, the more Q. realizes he doesn’t know and the more he comes to understand that the real mystery is not Margo’s fate but Margo herself—enigmatic, mysterious, and so very alluring. Yes, there are echoes of Green’s award-winning Looking for Alaska (2006): a lovely, eccentric girl; a mystery that begs to be solved by clever, quirky teens; and telling quotations (from The Leaves of Grass, this time) beautifully integrated into the plot. Yet, if anything, the thematic stakes are higher here, as Green ponders the interconnectedness of imagination and perception, of mirrors and windows, of illusion and reality. That he brings it off is testimony to the fact that he is not only clever and wonderfully witty but also deeply thoughtful and insightful. In addition, he’s a superb stylist, with a voice perfectly matched to his amusing, illuminating material. by Michael Cart for Booklist

Oh, The Little Prince is under the YA category? I always thought it was too heavy for a younger readership...

Anyway

Yep, the Perks is a good one.

May I also suggest the following

The Mermaids Singing by Lisa Carey

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume

Mozart's Sister by Nancy Moser

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman

Im just going to give you some of the ones that I like

Across the Universe- Beth Revis

Divergent - Veronica Roth

Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Matched - Ally Condie

Carnival of Souls - Sorry cant remeber the authors name

All of these books are really good but my favourite is Divergent

Dark Summer by Lizzy Ford. It is a story of a girl that is coming to terms that she is different. She meets a guy that will make her feel whole but then again, the guy also has some issues that he needs to overcome. Check out the summery here: http://www.guerrillawordfare.com/ebooks/ . If you are looking for a paranormal ya book, this is definitely a great place to start. :)

Lizzy Ford's Dark Summer was a hit to me! can't seem to erase Decker on my mind.. it's the 1st book of the Witchling Trilogy, and i'm waiting for the next book!