Is Alex Smith a perfect fit for Jim Harbaugh's offense?

Harbaugh's offense, as you know, is run-heavy and utilizes double TE's. Rarely, if ever, does he spread the field with 4 WR's. Also, under Harbaugh's offense, it is required of the QB to have some speed because Jim likes calling bootlegs. I think Alex Smith is a great fit for several reasons.... show more Harbaugh's offense, as you know, is run-heavy and utilizes double TE's. Rarely, if ever, does he spread the field with 4 WR's. Also, under Harbaugh's offense, it is required of the QB to have some speed because Jim likes calling bootlegs.

I think Alex Smith is a great fit for several reasons. One, he has no problem operating under a very run-heavy, conservative offense. Two, Smith has wheels, something many QBs don't have. Finally, Smith, because he's not a superstar, doesn't have a superstar's ego. He's perfectly fine with only throwing the ball on 3rd downs and not taking big shots down-field.

I think Andrew Luck, since he excelled under Harbaugh's offense at Stanford, is a great fit, as is Ryan Tannehill, who is freakishly athletic. Although Aaron Rodgers' skill-sets compliment this offense, I think his ego will clash with Harbaugh's. Moreover, there's no way Rodgers will be happy playing under a conservative ground-and-pound double-TE offense.
Update: Corey, that's true. A couple years ago, I told people that Andrew Luck benefited tremendously from having Harbaugh as his college coach and that he wouldn't have been this good had he played for another school/coach. I got a lot of sh*t for saying that. As it turns out, I may be right. Alex Smith went from... show more Corey, that's true. A couple years ago, I told people that Andrew Luck benefited tremendously from having Harbaugh as his college coach and that he wouldn't have been this good had he played for another school/coach. I got a lot of sh*t for saying that. As it turns out, I may be right. Alex Smith went from bust to a above average QB, thanks to Harbaugh.