Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Kaleb asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

John Smith and Jamestown?

I need to know the significance of john smith. In other words, what are three reasons why John Smith is so important to jamestown and american history. And, also why are those reasons so important.

I have my thoughts i just want to compare with someone elses.

Thanks!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When Jamestown was founded, the settlers of Jamestown faced hard times. The village was built on swampy land that spread disease. Half the settlers were nobles who were not interested in planting crops. They only wanted to search for gold. They found no gold, and soon all their supplies were gone. Many of them died from starvation or sickness. By spring, one half of the settlers were dead.

Then Captain John Smith took over as leader. Smith was tough. He told the settlers they would have to work or go hungry. Things improved briefly. But then Smith hurt his leg badly and had to return to England. With Smith gone, things began to fall apart. The winter of 1609-1610 was so terrible that the settlers called it “the starving time.” Before the staring time, there were 500 people in Jamestown. When it ended, only 60 settlers were alive.

So in conclusion, John Smith was very important to Jamestown. As I mentioned before, many settlers of Jamestown were nobles and wanted to search for gold instead of farming and planting. So Smith replied by controlling all the food, he made the people work, build, and farm for food. He made the people not interested in farming, building, and woodcutting do it to survive. He also controlled the amount of food and spent it wisely. One last reason why he is so important to Jamestown is without him, Jamestown wouldn’t be livable. As you can see, when he left Jamestown because he hurt his leg, people began to starve. They might have not known what to do, and so 3/4th of the population died. Although he was a very harsh and tough ruler, he kept Jamestown running and alive, when he left, Jamestown died and weakened. This is why John Smith is important to Jamestown. You can find some more reasons why he’s important to Jamestown from the information above.

Hope this helps :)

Source(s): History classes and some help from my book.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.