Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 7 years ago

Should Christians attend life drawing classes (drawing nude models)?

I'm a 16 year old girl who has took graphic design in college. Ill be doing nude drawings, however since im a Christian should I be doing this? The teacher asked if anyone couldn't draw the nude models due to religious reasons... No one said anything so neither did I... >_<

Another reason is I REALLY don't feel comftable doing this. I don't feel comftable drawing people's private parts. I have nothing against it, it's art I understand that, it's how you learn to draw the body. But I don't want to do this at all. I don't feel comftable. What do I say to my teacher? I skipped this morning's life drawing session because I'm not comftable. Everyone was giggling about how the models looked. That's another thing I don't like either. I know I'll giggle and it'll be disrespectful and mean.

What do I do? I don't want to take this class, what do I say to my teacher? And what will I do instead of the nude drawings? Thanks! ^_^

Best Answer

I took Life Drawing classes and have Christian beliefs. Our teacher was very strict about us respecting the model and wouldn't allow any sort of talk about them other than in an art aspect. I don't see anything wrong with studying the human form. Do you go to the doctor? How do you think they learned about the body?

It actually became my favourite class and I'm glad I didn't let my comfort levels affect me taking it. After a few classes the model will eventually look like shapes so it's not really about the person you're drawing but how everything is connected.

I'd encourage you to take it if you want to explore your drawing skills. You could even just avoid looking at the areas that make you feel uncomfortable for now and let your teacher know your thoughts and worries.

Source(s): Life Drawing Student For Over 10 Years

I don't think being Christian has anything to do with whether you're comfortable drawing naked people. If you feel that you're not comfortable drawing nudes, then don't do it. Go talk to your teacher in private about this issue, I'm pretty sure that you're not the only person with this problem.

Or you can try to find a non nude figure drawing class... xD

And didn't many christian paintings from the Renaissance have naked people on them?

If you wish to learn how to bring a reasonable nose just like a Skilled then Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery eBook from here https://tr.im/KIfVB will quickly demonstrates crucial reasons for having nose prior to starting to bring it as an expert.

With Realistic Pencil Portrait Mastery you can reveal therapy approach to pull nostrils and slight sights that make your nose drawing seem realistic.

Christopher Sia, the writer of this particular manual goes into explaining everything and number other portrait pulling course is that elaborate.  Christopher moves above and beyond many other classes on portrait pulling with comprehensive recommendations, top quality images and excellent bonuses.

I am a Christian and go to a Baptist church in Texas. I volunteer in the church nursery every Sunday morning, and because of that, I'm considered one of the church leaders. I have also been a nude model for college art classes for almost 29 years.

I've done more than a few classes that had never experienced drawing from a live nude model before, so I've heard the giggles. But the giggles stop once the real work begins. And I think those giggles come merely from the uniqueness of the situation. Society tells us that we need to be dressed when we're with groups of other people. This is one of the few exceptions to that.

The human body is the most amazing thing in all of creation. I've modeled for anatomy classes next to skeletons and next to muscle charts, and I am always amazed at the wonder of how the body works. And why not? The Bible says that we were made in the image of God. I feel a sense of purity when I model nude because I'm there just as God created me, the uncovered image of Him.

Nudity, even public nudity, was never condemned as sinful in the Bible. In fact, God commanded the prophet Isaiah to go naked throughout the land for three years. "...at that time the LORD spoke by Isaiah the son of Amoz, saying, “Go, and loose the sackcloth from your waist and take off your sandals from your feet,” and he did so, walking naked and barefoot. Then the LORD said, “As my servant Isaiah has walked naked and barefoot for three years as a sign and a portent against Egypt and Cush..." (Isaiah 20:2-3 ESV). Apparently, Isaiah wasn't the only one who received such a commandment. Look at King Saul in 1 Samuel 19:24 (ESV): "And he too stripped off his clothes, and he too prophesied before Samuel and lay naked all that day and all that night. Thus it is said, “Is Saul also among the prophets?”" Judging from the people's reaction, prophesying and public nudity seemed to go hand-in-hand in Old Testament times. Would God command someone to do something that was sinful? I think not.

I believe that Jesus Himself was crucified naked. The Bible says that Roman soldiers cast lots for His clothes, and the historical record tells us that it was a standard practice of the Romans to crucify prisoners naked. Personally, I find it interesting that before mankind's original sin, man was naked, and that the One who redeemed us from sin did so while naked.

When I step onto a modeling platform in a life drawing class and drop the robe, I am both humbling myself and practicing the most extreme kind of modesty. Whenever I read the word modesty in the Bible, I have to define it, based on contextual clues, as avoiding the practice of putting on adornment (braiding of hair, putting on of gold jewelry, etc.) to show off one's stature, as if one were boasting. Today's parallel would be the wearing of expensive designer clothes, displaying expensive jewelry, or any other way in which people dress to show how well off they are, either socially or financially. 1 Peter 3:3-4 (ESV) says "Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." What then could be more modest than removing everything that might, in someone's eyes, elevate my own status? Isn't that what being humble is all about? Wasn't Christ showing true humility when he allowed himself to be stripped naked and hung on a cross to die for our sins when none of us deserved it?

So my answer is yes, Christian can and should attend life drawing classes...

To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure.

Source(s): Titus 1:15