Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 8 years ago

Could I Have a Thyroid problem?

About a month ago, I was told by my doctor that my last blood test indicated that I might have a problem with my thyroid. In a few weeks from now, I'll need to take another blood test to confirm his suspician. However, in the past couple of weeks (and sometimes months), I have noticed some very bizzar symptoms.

First let me start with the long-term symptoms that I've experienced. The most bizzar symptom I've had were episodes where my fingertips would go numb with a feeling of pins and needles. It would start at the very tips of my fingers and slowly move to the bottom part of my palms within an hour. I don't regain feeling until several hours later. I've also had various bouts of insomnia that hit me as soon as I get into bed. Then I've also had trouble with memory (short term in particular) as well as concentration despite taking 40mg of Adderal everyday for ADHD.

Now for the symptoms I've been experiencing recently. I've had sudden cravings for salty foods and my salt intake has caused me to experience symptoms of dehydration. I've also had an episode where my urine was darker than usual, sort of an amber color.

Finally, I'd like to point out a little bit of personal/family history. First, the only person in my family who has an ongoing thyroid problem is one of my aunts. Next, I have a history of metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance. I have a very irregular menstral cycle where I hadn't been had a period for several years, but has returned since starting as a freshman in college over a year ago. When my monthly first started, it was very heavy and very painful, but since coming back, they have been very light, nearly painless, comes out more of a brownish color, and never comes at the same time every month. There is also no chance that I am pregnant because I am still a virgin. I've also had severe heartburn for over a year and am currently taking Omeprezol [sp?] (the generic for Prilosec [sp?]) to treat it, but I still get heartburn unless I'm taking it on a daily basis.

With all this said, I decided to do a online symptome checker yesturday and most of my symptoms pointed to hypothyroidism. My parents think I'm a hypercondriac [sp?], but with all that I've been experiencing, my heart is telling me that there's something's not quite right on the inside. With all my symptoms and my doctor's hunch, should I be concerned that there may really be something going on with my thyroid?

I have also had a history of bowel problems such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, paradoxical diarrhea (constipated with diarrhea), constipation, as well as a peptic ulcer.

Favorite Answer

First, to stop right here: "my doctor that my last blood test indicated that I might have a problem with my thyroid. In a few weeks from now, I'll need to take another blood test to confirm his suspician" Why the heck would you wait weeks!?!

"I've also had severe heartburn for over a year and am currently taking Omeprezol [sp?] (the generic for Prilosec [sp?]) to treat it, but I still get heartburn unless I'm taking it on a daily basis. " You MUST take in on a daily basis for it to work ... it is not an 'as needed' med.

MANY of your symptoms CAN come from thyroid disease. You need testing for thyroid ANTIBODIES as well as TSH. TSH ‘norm’ should be .3 – 3 (w/ most feeling best at < 2) but, for diagnosis, may not mean much if ANTIBODIES are present which is indicative of Hashimoto’s Autoimmune Thyroiditis (cycles between HYPER & HYPO at start)…it is the main cause of eventual HypOthyroidism but worse (...OR Graves Disease – HypERthyroid from beginning).

You will have to INSIST they test for the antibodies. [anti-TPO and TgAb] They can code so that ins will pay.

WARNING: Doctors seem not to want to find/treat thyroid disease. You may have to go to more than one doctor before you get the right tests, interpretation, and treatment. Best wishes.

Ck these:

http://thyroid.about.com/bio/Mary-Shomon-350.htm

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

http://www.thyrophoenix.com/index.html

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/newsinfo/l/blguideline...

ALWAYS GET COPIES OF YOUR LABS.

God bless you

Source(s): Hashimoto's Autoimmune Thyroiditis sufferer

If you are hypothyroid it is not a big problem. It is easily controlled with the correct medication.

The blood tests will confirm this one way or the other and it is pretty pointless guessing until you get the next test results.

Source(s): Hypothyroid for over 20 years.

I totally agree with Tarkarri.