TI Nspire CX or TI 84?

I want a graphing calculator for my pre calc class and i want to know which one is better. I was looking at forums and they said that the grey scale nsire is better because it comes with the ti 84 keypad so its easier to get used to, but i have never used the ti 84 or any graphing calculator so would it be easier for me to get used to the nspire cx and would i be lost when my teacher does examples with his ti 84 which it the one he uses but i asked him if i can get the nspire and he said to go for it and that it's worth the money so just how good is the nspire cx and is it easy to use for someone who has never used a graphing calculator and isnt used to using another kind of graphing calculator. And also if i buy it from the TI website does it offer a name engraving because i defiantly dont want one of those getting stolen

Favorite Answer

I have a TI Nspire CX and I love it. Everyone else in my Pre-Calculus class uses the TI 84 Plus though. The TI Nspire may seem difficult to use, but after you read the instructions it's a breeze. There's a convenient manual for the different applications built into the calculator. ON the forums it may say the gray nspire is easier to get used to, but that doesn't really matter in your case since you said you've never used a graphing calculator. If you can't find what you're looking for, there are various programs that can be downloaded from the Texas Instruments site. My teacher does examples with his TI 84 and I'm able to follow. I suggest you figure out the basics before you use it in class so you're able to keep. I checked and the nspire can be used with SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, ACT, AP, IB and Praxis exams. The CAS (Computer Algebra System) is approved on a lot fewer exams so you look into what the difference between the two are (but I don't really think it's necessary). And name engraving isn't offered, but you can probably go somewhere to get that done for you. The TI Nspire CX is also super cool because it's in color! In my opinion the pros to the TI84 are the price (about $20 OR $30 cheaper) and it's a bit easier to use. I hope this helps :)

Source(s): My TI Nspire CX

Ti Nspire Cx Ti 84 Keypad

We understand you need help deciding between the TI-Nspire CX and TI-84 Plus. We recommend it is best to purchase the calculator your teacher suggests so if your teacher recommends the TI-84 Plus we would suggest getting that model so it is easier to follow along in class.

In response to your question about ease of use with a greyscale unit you are correct only a user familiar with the TI-84 Plus would need the TI-84 Plus Keypad with the TI-Nspire Clickpad unit to become used to the functionality of the TI-Nspire and it would not help anyone unfamiliar with both models.

The TI-Nspire interface is similar to a computer so it is easier to use if you are familiar with a computer interface. All functions are stored in menu’s that hover over the active window similar to most computer programs. You also have a cursor you can place over objects and click on them to bring up objects or even right-click objects to bring up context sensitive options.

In response to your last question about name engraving, the TI Website does not offer name engraving. We would also suggest shopping around for the best price since the TI Website sells at the suggested retail price and you may find a better deal from a distributor.

I've had my TI-84 silver edition for a couple years now and I am thrilled with it! It is very simple to use and can be learned quickly. I know that some calculators aren't allowed on the SATs or IB tests but I know FOR SURE the TI-84 is allowed on both. I personally think the TI-84 was money well spent

Source(s): Mine TI-84