Does Daniel 10:13 prove that Michael the Archangel is not Jesus Christ?

in New World Translation:

(Daniel 10:13) But the prince of the royal realm of Persia was standing in opposition to me for twenty-one days, and, look! Mi′cha·el, one of the foremost princes, came to help me; and I, for my part, remained there beside the kings of Persia.

in King James Version:

Daniel 10:13 (King James Version)

13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.

Michael is here called "one of the chief princes" but Jesus is unique, so is this proof?

@Twylah: I read all of the scriptures carefully. Verse 4 says that the Son is far greater than the angels, and God gave him a name greater than theirs. An archangel is far greater than the angels, and it was his God who gave Jesus this greater name, he didn't have it on his own. Vs 5 shows God saying to Jesus "You are my Son" because he is greater than the angels. Verse 8 can also be rendered "God is your throne...", as it is rendered in many other translations, especially since the verb "is" is nowhere in the verse, so where it is put is due to trinitarian bias. The original psalm (#45) was referring to a human king of Israel, who, as such, sat on "Jehovah's throne" (1 Chronicles 29:23). Jehovah is referred to in verse 9 as "your God" meaning this human king's God, and also meaning Jesus' God.

@a son of God and @Jesus is the Son of God. Obey his Father: This verse (Jude 9) is a display of Jesus' attitude toward

his Father's will, and of his subjection to his Father and his God. He said while on earth:(John 5:19) “Most truly I say to YOU, The Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he beholds the Father doing. For whatever things that One does, these things the Son also does in like manner." Even when he asked for this cup to pass from him, clearly what he wanted, he said: (Matthew 26:39) "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass away from me. Yet, not as I will, but as you will." Jude 9 displays the exact same attitude.

@T and @opalis: There is only one archangel in the Bible - only one. And, Jesus at 1 Thessalonians 4:16 says that he has the voice of an archangel. Jesus commands the angels Revelation 19:1-16, and Michael commands the angels at Revelation 12:7-9. He is NOT just an angel, he is scripturally shown to be higher than an angel, and more powerful, because he alone can resist the opposing princes (Daniel 10:21)

@XAndrewX Latin

We do believe that Jesus is Jesus, we don't believe that he is Almighty God, so there is no disowning here. Thomas knew who Jesus was, recalling his message that he will be ascending to "to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God." John 20:17 His Father is his God. One can't say that his Father is his God only on earth, because Thomas said what he said while he was still on earth, in exactly the same resurrected state. Thomas also heard, with the other apostles, Jesus in prayer calling his Father "the only true God" John 17:3 This means that he is God to Jesus, and everybody else, not co-equal to Jesus at any time.

@http://www.bible-reviews.com(Jim): Exactly my point, Jim, because many on this board point to this scripture to prove that Michael is not THE prince like Jesus, but just one of many. But can one of many have among them one who is greater, even unique?

This scripture indicates that that can be true: Isaiah 52:13-14(KJV) Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high. As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of me (Isa. 52:13; 53:11; read Acts 3:13, 26.) This verse begins an extended prophecy about the Messiah. or Christ, and it revealed his reward at The beginning, but still calling him a "servant". It continues into Isaiah 53, where prophecies that were clearly about Jesus were presented. Philip the evangelizer confirmed by holy spirit that this "servant" is Jesus Christ (Acts 8:26-40)

Jehovah has many servants, but this one is both unique and preemi

preeminent, and he is one of his servants, and not equal with Jehovah.

The expression "God the Son" is not in the scriptures, neither is the expression "high ranking warrior angel". There is the "only-begotten Son of God", and there is only one in the scriptures. There is the "archangel," and there is only one in the scriptures.

Favorite Answer

Salutations!

Many point to Daniel 10:13 and Jude 9 as evidence against Michael being Jesus.

Daniel 10:13 – Michael is one of the chief princes.

Daniel 12:1 – Michael is the great prince.

Some say that if Michael is one of the chief princes, then he can't be the Son of God. That doesn't follow. People seem to misunderstand the biblical word for "prince." It doesn't mean "prince" in the modern English sense. It means, according to the BDB Hebrew lexicon: "chieftain, chief, ruler, official, captain, prince." Even God is said to be a prince in Daniel 8:25.

So Daniel 10:13 is saying Michael is "one of the chief rulers." This would be like saying that the President of the United States is "one of the chief rulers." The President is still a unique position, and it is the highest ranking position, but there would be others in various offices that would be counted as "one of the rulers" of the US. Daniel 12:1 says Michael is "the great ruler." The Bible doesn't say that there is only one ruler, and that that ruler is God. No, it speaks of many rulers, or princes. God is a ruler. Michael is a ruler. Jesus is a ruler. The Jewish religious leaders were rulers. The Jewish kings were rulers. All Daniel 10:13 is saying is that Michael is "one" of the rulers, without specifying his exact rank among all the rulers. Logically, Michael/Jesus can hold the unique position of "archangel," be above the angels, and still be called "one of the chief rulers." To say that this somehow prevents Michael from being Jesus is to not understand reason.

Interestingly, the Greek Septuagint has "o angelos o megas" - the Great Angel - at Daniel 12:1. Theodotian's Greek Daniel - which some used to replace the original Septuagint version of Daniel because it was thought to be more accurate - has "o arkhon o megas" - the Great Ruler. Both versions have "ton arkhonton ton proton" - "one of the first rulers" - for Daniel 10:13.

Jude 9 – Michael, the archangel, could not rebuke Satan.

Actually, the verse doesn't say that Michael "couldn't" rebuke Satan. In fact, he does rebuke him. It says that he chose not to, not to "rebuke," but bring an "abusive; slanderous" (Grk, blasphemeo) "condemnation; judgment" (Grk, krisis) against Satan. That is different from Michael refusing to just "rebuke" Satan. Michael did rebuke Satan by saying "Jehovah rebuke you," which is in itself a rebuke, but also acknowledging deferential respect to God, the ultimate rebuker. He just didn't bring an abusive condemnation against Satan.

Also what must be kept in mind is that this instance is chronologically prior to Jesus' life on earth. If Jesus is indeed Michael, it is possible that his roles and authority was different at the time of Moses than it was when he was on earth. If Jesus is not God - which JWs believe - then it is entirely possible that his authority was different at various times. Jesus himself said that all authority had been given to him on heaven and on earth in Matt 28:18. To "be given" authority implies that at one point Jesus didn't have that authority.

Yours,

Abernathy the Dull

If you check the Hebrew you might find that "one of the chief princes" can also be rendered "unique among the chief princes", sort of the way "only" can be rendered "unique".

But does Dan. 10 disprove Jesus is (or was) MIchael the archangel*? I don't think proves one way or the other.

However, Biblically, I do not see any evidence for anybody to even come up with the idea that Michael and Jesus are the same person.

If you look in the Letter of Jude in the N.T., he mentions Michael, but he doesn't say that, by the way, that is our Lord Jesus. Reasonableness dictates he would, especially when it is Jesus who is the very leader of their faith, for which they were being persecuted and getting killed.

But, Daniel 10 really doesn't weigh the case either way. it is irrelevant.

There is no evidence for claiming Jesus is Michael.

*angel means messenger or one who walks for another. it is a function, not a species.

Read Hebrews 1:5-8, Jesus is the Son of God, God the Son. Michael is a high ranking warrior angel (see also Revelation 12). They are not the same.

Indeed it does not.

Also, to answer other points ones have brought out.

Michael did not have authority over demons until his life on earth. He was baptized becoming the anointed (Messiah or Christ) and was given power to cast out demons. Matthew 28:18. At that time, all power in heaven/earth was given to Jesus.

After his resurrection though, he was finally exalted over the angels and granted immortality which they do not have (nor do humans though it is promised to the saints who judge with Jesus). 1 Timothy 6:16, 1 Cor. 15:50-53.

1 Timothy 6 KJV

15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;

16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

HAD Jesus been equal to God, there would be no need to grant him immortality and thus exalt him over the angels.

Debbie

Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is our Messiah, Lord, and Savior. Michael, the Archangel is not Jesus, he is just a chief prince/great prince who will protect God's people in the end times before Jesus returns. Jesus and Michael are too different beings.

What kind of religion do you believe in anyways??? What religion that you are partaking in is teaching you this heresy/myth?

Also, what kind of book do you own? Do you have the King James Bible? Or something else?

===================================================================

HERE IS PROOF THROUGH THIS BIBLE VERSE THAT MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL IS NOT JESUS:

Jude 1:5-10 Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day. In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

In the very same way, these dreamers pollute their own bodies, reject authority and slander celestial beings. But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” Yet these men speak abusively against whatever they do not understand; and what things they do understand by instinct, like unreasoning animals—these are the very things that destroy them.

It does not prove that.

However, ***if*** your interpretation of that passage is that the passage is speaking about Michael the archangel, then I would say that it is proof that Michael is not the only archangel and that there are others of equal rank. If he were called "the foremost prince", then this passage would only act as weak evidence; but since it clearly states "one of the foremost princes", then we can be absolutely certain that there were at that time other princes of equal rank and possible some of even greater rank.

It's funny: to me, the passage quite clearly is not speaking about an angel at all, and Ezra and Nehemiah support that rather obvious interpretation. Others, however, often interpret it as referring to archangels - including (usually) those who teach that there is one and only one archangel.

Conclusion: for anyone who believes that passage refers to Michael the archangel, logically it is proof that there are other angels of equal rank. In *any* case: logically it is proof that Michael (whoever he is) is not alone in his rank - that there is at least one other of at least equal rank.

- Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com/

Michael is of the angelic class.

Jesus Christ has higher rank than Michael. See Hebrews 1:4-5, "Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

For unto which of the angels said he at any time, 'Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee?' And again, 'I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son'?"

• Kjw47

It just means there are a few chief princes--but Daniel 12:1 and 1 thess 4:16-- proves Jesus is Michael--because Jesus is the one who stands up for his people( in the last days it was speaking about) And upon his return comes with the archangels voice--it is his voice.

Yes but even better proof is Jude 9 Yet Michael the Archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dare not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"

Source(s): N.K.J.Bible my opinion
  • Moi

Well for most it does

But this is even better....please read it all

Hbr 1:3 The Son radiates God's own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven.

Hbr 1:4 This shows that the Son is far greater than the angels, just as the name God gave him is greater than their names.

Hbr 1:5 For God never said to any angel what he said to Jesus: "You are my Son. Today I have become your Father. [fn]"God also said, "I will be his Father, and he will be my Son." [fn]

Hbr 1:6 And when he brought his supreme [fn] Son into the world, God said, [fn] "Let all of God's angels worship him." [fn]

Hbr 1:7 Regarding the angels, he says, "He sends his angels like the winds, his servants like flames of fire." [fn]

Hbr 1:8 But to the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, endures forever and ever. You rule with a scepter of justice.

Hbr 1:9 You love justice and hate evil. Therefore, O God, your God has anointed you, pouring out the oil of joy on you more than on anyone else." [fn]

Hbr 1:10 He also says to the Son, "In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundation of the earth and made the heavens with your hands.

Hbr 1:11 They will perish, but you remain forever. They will wear out like old clothing.

Hbr 1:12 You will fold them up like a cloak and discard them like old clothing. But you are always the same; you will live forever." [fn]

Hbr 1:13 And God never said to any of the angels, "Sit in the place of honor at my right hand until I humble your enemies, making them a footstool under your feet." [fn]

Hbr 1:14 Therefore, angels are only servants—spirits sent to care for people who will inherit salvation.