Why do some atheists assume that Christians reject evolution?

Now if you are a "defender of the Faith" - i.e. a supporter of evolution, please don't "chimp out" on me here. Some Christians do not accept evolution. Perhaps some atheists do not accept evolution. But some atheists apparently assume that Christians reject evolution. Why?... show more Now if you are a "defender of the Faith" - i.e. a supporter of evolution, please don't "chimp out" on me here.

Some Christians do not accept evolution. Perhaps some atheists do not accept evolution. But some atheists apparently assume that Christians reject evolution. Why?

Personally, I do not accept the claim that humans and apes share a common ancestor. I just believe that the evidence is inadequate. There is some evidence to suggest that it is true, but evolution also relies on speculation and presupposition. I have no objection to the idea of natural selection. I consider Natural selection to be a fact. Obviously, life adapts. Changes occur. Changes in the morphology of beaks in finches is one thing. Changing from one species to another is quite another.

So why do some atheists assume that all Christians deny evolution?