How do you feel about "boy names" on girls?

like toni for antonia or bobbie for roberta

BQ what are some other good ones?

Favorite Answer

It is one of my pet peeves. I hate when a girl is called Riley,Toni,Dani,Charlie. I also think its awful for boys to get girl names. I named my daughter Kassandra and called her K.C. my second was a son and name him Jace and my last child was a girl and named her Avery. I do know the names that we chose are considered unisex,but I think K.C. is more girlish and so is the name Avery,and I think the name Jace is more of a boys name

It's OK to name a girl Toni or Bobbie, but whatever you do, get Antonia or Roberta on their birth certificates

Edit: Another thing that I like about those two names is that you can tell by the spelling that they are girls; unlike - for example - abbreviations such as Chris shortened from Christine

Most of the time I'm not a fan of boy names on girls. For some reason though, I like Ryan for both boys and girls even though it goes against the norm of me not being fond of boys names for girls.

But what you are talking about seems like a totally different matter. Your examples are not so much boys names on girls, but masculine nicknames for feminine names. Which I rather like a lot. Perhaps because my name is Gabrielle and I go by Gabe (my mother absolutely hated the nickname Gabby) so it seems normal to me. Also, my mother's name is Christine and she went by Chris, at least when she was younger (my grandmother always thought that my dad was talking about one of his male friends for the longest time when he would tell her about what he and "Chris" did that week).

I like them. Even the blatantly male ones like Sebastian or Lucas. I think that male names just get taken more seriously. I can see where they could cause a problem later in life, though - for instance, no boy would want to date a girl named Lucas if that meant people would talking about how "Lucas and Tommy were dating"

It depends on the kid. If you want your girl to be super girly and feminine then it does not work out. If she's a little tomboy or just isn't as feminine as some girls then it works out fine. I think kids fit into their names though and if you call a girl bobbie from birth then she'll look like a bobbie.

• em

I like it. My name is Mirranda and it could be shortened to Randi. I also love the name Charlotte shortened to Charlie. I think they are fine as nicknames.

Some other names that are now for both genders

Sasha

Mackenzie

Casey

Taylor

Christian

I don't mind masculine nicknames, if that is what the child chooses.

However I hate full boy names on girls, like Spencer and Parker and Emerson.

I like boyish nicknames for girls.

Charlie for Charlotte

Ronnie for Veronica

Jo for Josephine

Sami for Samantha

Randi for Miranda

Kenni for Makenna (This one i just heard today for the first time)

Alex for Alexandra

Billie/Willie for Wilhelmina

Bennie for Benita

Dani for Daniella

Frankie for Francesca

Freddie/Ricki for Frederica

Jack for Jaclyn

Mikey for Makayla

Nate for Natalie

Ollie for Olivia

Pat/Patty for Patricia

Paulie for Pauline

Stevie for Stephanie

Vinnie for Virginia

Zack for Zacara/Zacari

• ceridd

If the boy name is a nickname for a formal feminine name, it can be really cute.

I like most of these:

Bernadette ....... Bernie

Charlotte .......... Charlie

Danielle ............ Dani

Wilhelmina ....... Billie

Alexandra ........ Alex

Georgia ........... Georgie

Samantha ........ Sam

Francesca ........ Frankie

Geraldine ......... Gerry

Theresa ........... Terri

Veronica .......... Ronni

Johanna ........... Jonny

Erica ................. Rickie

Some boys names work out on girls. Like my name, Taylor. Some boys have the name Taylor as do some girls. It can be masculine and feminine at the same time