How can I find chicken eggs or wild game meat?

I really want to get some chicken eggs from chickens that are humanely raised. Preferably, I'd like to get chicken eggs from someone who just has their own chicken in their backyard or something. Also, I'd really like to eat some wild game that has been hunted by someone. I don't hunt, and so I am unable to legally catch my own wild animal.

Is it legal if someone gives you a rabbit or some other animal they legally hunted that they don't want?

• Greg
    Favorite Answer

I'll second the farmers' market suggestion for the eggs.

As stated, wild game typically can't be sold, but can be given as a gift if you know someone who hunts.

Another option for wild game is a restaurant or meat market that specializes in "exotic" meats. Typically, these are game animals that have been raised commercially for the meat market. It is a well regulated industry that results in good quality game meat. While technically "farm-raised", the meat still has the benefits (lower fat, more flavor) of normal wild game meat. A google search for whatever you are looking for will give you some ideas. The first link is one of many that sell game meat.

A great restaurant for wild game (and I'm sure other cities have them) in the Austin, Texas, area is Hudson's on the Bend on the north side of town. The Espresso-Chocolate-Chili rubbed Smoked Elk Backstrap is absolutely fabulous! Again, you may have a restaurant in your area that also does game meat.

You can buy them from a farm or order them off the internet. I was going to get some, but I never got around to building a proper coop for the chickens, plus my neighbors wouldn't be too happy about the noise they make. Of course, this will mean that you'll have to kill the chicken yourself. I don't know if you'd be okay with that. Holding a chicken down and watching the body flap around when you kill it? Not for someone who isn't comfortable with shooting an animal. It'll cost money, though. Sometimes it's more expensive than buying eggs from the store. If you want, you can find free range chicken eggs. Or you can buy them off a neighbor with chickens.

You usually can't legally buy game meat, but you can often get it as a gift.

Hunting your own meat is much healthier than buying it from the store. Chicken from the store is packed with growth hormones. A wild game bird, like turkey, pheasant, quail or grouse, has been eating natural food. I would suggest looking into bird hunting if you want wild game meat.

• MARK

Farmer's markets are popular in California, If you have those where you live, you may be able to get local chicken eggs there. Wild game meat... probably not. You would have to someone who hunts to get that. Someone who has killed a wild animal can legally give it or some of it away.

sounds like free range chicken eggs are what you want. They are pretty popular even at the store but what I consider "true" free range eggs and chickens are usually raised on a small scale by local farmers. Where I work, a nurse also farms and sells her free range eggs for about 3 dollars a dozen.

You can buy precooked/smoked venison, duck, buffalo etc through a number of catalogues but it is expensive. Same with buying assorted sausages made of game meat.. You can be given anykind of game but unless you know how to prepare it, you may not get the best "first taste". Better if you knew a hunter that would invite you to dinner for some of his or her special recipe venison or other game.

farmer's markets are the place to find backyard farm eggs. for the wild meat, a hunter can gift meat to whoever they choose. but you might need to get a meat possession permit/license from your state or province's wildlife authority to keep the meat for a extended period of time. you'd need to check your state or provincial laws concerning this.

Source(s): here in NS, Canada you need a wild meat possession permit to keep meat after march 31st and need to update it every year you have wild meat in your freezer.
  • Irv S

Most places, it's illegal to sell wild game.

You can give it away, but not sell it.

Caution: Any wild game you receive must be FULLY cooked before you eat it.

Wild game has a possibility of containing parasites that can infect you if not

killed by thorough cooking.