My dog has a liver mass (tumor)... is surgery advisable?

My 9 yr old Dachshund has a concentrated liver mass (not big), and I am so distraught. I took him to the vet today for a ultrasound and he told me there's a tumor in the liver, but it's not big. The liver overall seems fine and the mass is concentrated in one spot. The vet sent me to a big animal hospital... show more My 9 yr old Dachshund has a concentrated liver mass (not big), and I am so distraught. I took him to the vet today for a ultrasound and he told me there's a tumor in the liver, but it's not big. The liver overall seems fine and the mass is concentrated in one spot. The vet sent me to a big animal hospital in Tampa, and they gave me a very expensive estimate on just the diagnostic tests ($1300), which included things that another vet had done 2 nights ago (complete blood work, etc). What I don't understand is that, if they can communicate with each other, and each indicated another, why can't they just use the same diagnostic tests already done to do surgery? I know my little guy doesnt want to eat, but he's drinking Pedialyte and water. He looks so weak, it's breaking my heart. He never had any health issue. I would hate to lose him! I am soooo sad... but I want them to operate him but be fair at the same time, not try to make money on me. Any advice? thnx
6 answers 6