Should I be en pointe?

I live in Taiwan, where ballet is not as professional as it should be. So when I signed up for ballet, they put me into an intermediate class. After the first class, the teacher told me if I had any pointe shoes: I didn't, and I had never been en pointe. I took a beginner ballet class when I was younger, but never got to even intermediate or advanced level. However, I had always wanted to be en pointe and took the opportunity to get my first pair of pointe shoes.

When I received them, I sewed on all the elastic and ribbons the proper way, and when it was time for pointe class, I was able to put them on correctly.

My teacher says that I have talent for being en pointe, and that I am quite good at it. Other girls who have been dancing for a long time haven't even been as good as I am. I think that being en pointe is fun, and it doesn't hurt at all. However, I heard that in America (where I am moving back to next month), girls dance for more than three years until they get pointe shoes. So should I be en pointe? And which kind of classes should I take when I go back to America?

Favorite Answer

You cannot safely go en pointe after one ballet class. Even if you were another Sylvie Guillem. There is no way anyone is born knowing ballet technique. It is not natural to engage your turnout. You need to build the right muscles with correct alignment. Before going en pointe you need to have the following: Strong core, strong legs, strong feet, strong ankles, good balance and the ability to engage and hold your turnout without sickling. Most important is strong ballet technique. You must learn to do everything and do it well first on flat before you attempt it en pointe. It is very possible that you can go up en pointe and not even have it hurt your feet. However, it is not possible that you are working correctly because you cannot automatically be born with ballet technique as that is a learned skill. The worlds best ballet dancers trained for years before going en pointe. They were born in the 2% of the population that has all the natural gifts for ballet which includes facility which means ballet training comes easier and is more natural to their body type then it is for others. It still takes them years.

When you come to America, start in a beginner ballet class at a good school to learn proper technique. You will need to unlearn what you have been doing in taiwan, because any teacher that puts a girl en pointe with no training has no clue what they are doing. If I were you, I would stop your current ballet classes and wait until you get to America. In the meantime do some pilates and yoga to help get your body ready for ballet training.

*EDIT:The fact that you are better than the girls who dance there en pointe and have for a while attests to your teacher's total lack of ability to teach ballet.

Source(s): My daughter is a professional dancer. I worked for NYCB (New York City Ballet)

I started pointe last year and started ballet the year before that when I was 15. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think they just want you to do ballet for 3 years before so that you can strengthen your ankles. Because rolling your ankle while on pointe hurts (I assume haha) and its easier to roll them if you have weaker ankles. And if it doesn't hurt you at all then you must have some super padding in your shoes or amazing ouch-pouches. I don't live in America but it depends how serious you are about dancing. If you want to dance as a career then you should be practicing pointe and ballet every day and have classes that are strict and that you go to about 3 times a week, with pointe for about an hour or two each lesson.

I do ballet twice a week with pointe for half an hour on only one of those lessons (because I only do it for fun and just incase i get into musical theatre acting) :)

Simple answer is no you should definitely not be end Pointe and your teacher isn't teaching you safely