Tips for playing oboe?

I just got my first oboe today. I have played clarinet for a few years, and would say I am an Intermediate player, maybe not professional but you get the point. I want some tips on playing it, such as embouchure tips, how NOT to break the reed, protecting the oboe, maintenance, etc. I already know about soaking the reed for a little bit if it's new, and the basic embouchure as well. Also, after I have been able to play some simple songs, what about some help with tone and vibrato, too? Feel free to use any musically nerdy words as you want.

Favorite Answer

The oboe is one of the top contenders among instruments you should NOT attempt without a teacher. The embouchure and breathing techniques are VERY different from the clarinet (as are the fingerings) and so I would advise very strongly that you stop trying to teach yourself and get some proper professional instruction.

Don't rush it. Playing any musical instrument takes a while to develop the muscles around the mouth. I am a school band director and I tell my students not to push too much at first. Play long tones with a nice ROUND embouchure (mouth shape) to warm up. Your mouth should feel as if you are saying "oooooo." When you start losing control, STOP. Put it away and do something else. Go back to it in a little while and try again. If you don't want to put it away, do a few "horse whinnies" by loosly buzzing your lips. Practice fingerings, say them and finger at the same time. This will give your lip a rest. Then you can try again. Obviously, the more you practice, the better you'll get. Keep at it. You will never be sorry you learned how to play. Good luck!