What are my chances looking like for a transfer?

I am hoping to transfer to a different university in the fall of 2013 for a better economics program. I love economics, and I feel that I am extremely limited and uninterested at this Canadian university. I would like to transfer to Harvard to learn from Greg Mankiw ideally, but we all know their acceptance rates so I am applying to around 10 other universities/colleges.

This year I am taking Micro/Macroeconomics, Honors Calculus I & II, Honors Linear Algebra I & II, Newtonian Mechanics, Chemistry, and two English courses. I am going to try my absolute hardest to come out with a 4.0 GPA, which seems quite feasible so far. As for involvement in the university, I am the President of a newly founded US politics student group (with 10 members), and I volunteer. As for activities, I trade stocks and I have had an extensive martial arts history, as well as 10 years of piano. My high school grades were all A+'s and all AP's. I am writing the SAT test and two subject tests in October/November. I hope to get >2200 and ideally >2300 on the SAT test, and I should get 800 on both of the subject tests.

That sums up the major stuff; what do you think? What could I work on? I really want to get a good US economics degree.

• Johnny
    Best Answer

You sound very intelligent and it is quite likely that you will be able to earn admission into a good American university. Based on what you have written, you have great prospects, even for a transfer, which is often a more selective process than most first-time application processes. That being said, Harvard is quite a name-brand school and Mankiw is one of the best economists in the world. Only a very, very small percentage of students are accepted to Harvard, and even fewer are accepted as transfer students. From what you say, you may be one of these select few, but you should not be disappointed if you are not granted admission.

Again, I think your prospects for many excellent American universities is quite good, so good luck!