TFirst Name asked in HealthOptical · 8 years ago

When will insurance cover collagen cross-linking for keratoconus (USA only please)?

This question may be too specific but I could really use some insight. I have been diagnosed with keratoconus, already got intacts after a long battle with the insurance company. I have read that collagen cross-linking has been given orphan drug status by the FDA, can anyone shed some light on how long until insurance will cover the procedure ? I have been told the cost without insurance is 5-6K is this accurate ?

• Tink
    Favorite Answer

I have a buddy who had three cornea transplants because of that....he didn't have a single problem with insurance companies.

It can't have orphan treatment status, the FDA just approved it for three studies.

Insurance companies surely won't cover it until it's been found effective and basically accepted as a normal treatment.

You might be able to participate in a study regarding that treatment though (at the bottom)

http://www.nkcf.org/en/treatment-options/corneal-c...

Good day guys i've advanced kc in my left eye. Desired to ask about dr Brian. Heard and skim a lot of just right stuff about him. Whats he like in actual n how are the results submit c3r/intacs. Thanks

Can anyone tell me what is the right answer for this question?