hemorrhoid or something else?

I noticed after I had a bowel movement a few days ago that there is a lump on the outside of my butt.It is sore and tender, especially when I walk. I exercise and eat healthy, so if this is a hemorrhoid, I don't know how I got it. I've been using preparation H and wipes with witch hazel in it and it doesn't seem to be getting any smaller. Sometimes I feel pain when I poop but not always and there hasn't been any blood. Is this a hemorroid? something else? Is preparation H going to help eventually? I dont know what to do but I'm scared to go to the bathroom...

• Heidi

It sounds like a hemorrhoid. Have you searched Google Images to see what a hemorrhoid looks like?

Sometimes they can be painless and be gone the next day, and sometimes they cause problems and stay for way too long. If you still have it a week from now, or if it gets worse, make an appointment to see your doctor. He'll be able to tell you quickly whether or not it's a hemorrhoid and he may do a simple procedure to make it go away.

Meanwhile, Miralax is a safe, over the counter laxative that will make your poop softer and slipperier so it will come out faster = less pain.