Chilli chicken chow mein
200 g mung bean noodles
3 chinese dried mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for 20 minutes, drained
1 tsp sesame oil
For the noodles
200 g chicken breasts, without skin, boneless, chopped into 2cm chunks
1 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp groundnut oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 piece ginger, (2cm)
1 red chillies, seeds removed, chopped
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp chilli sauce
1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
60 g bean sprouts
60 g shredded spring onions
1 dashes of sesame oil
0.5 tsp salt
0.5 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
Buy Ingredients at mySupermarket More information
1. Cook the mung bean noodles in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes, until tender. Tip into a colander and rinse with cold water before drizzling with sesame oil. Drain the mushrooms from their soaking water, remove and discard the stems, and roughly chop.
2. Mix the egg white with the cornflour and dark soy sauce, and mix with the chicken pieces.
3. Heat the groundnut oil in a wok and toss in the garlic, ginger and red chilli. Stir fry for one minute over a high heat.
4. Add the cornflour-coated chicken to the wok and continue frying for another minute. Add the light soy sauce, chilli sauce and chopped mushrooms, followed by the mung bean noodles. Stir fry for 1 more minute, or until the noodles are warmed through.
4. Stir in the carrots, bean sprouts, spring onions, sesame oil and seasoning. Scatter with chopped coriander and serve straight from the pan.