Bell asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 7 years ago

Can I transfer JUST my operating system to my new SSD?

I am getting a new motherboard and case soon so I will be rebuilding my computer. I am also getting an SSD but I don't want to copy ALL of my files to the SSD, only the operating system. It is an intel SSD. How do I go about doing this? And should I do the transfew BEFORE I rebuild or AFTER? Answers will be greatly appreciated!

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately, there's no real way to do an OS clone without transferring everything with it, and if you're moving to a SSD, I would highly recommend a fresh install. Here's my recommendations for when you do install Windows on the SSD, though (as I've posted previously to someone else's question):

1) Disable automatic defrag - In Windows 7 this can be done by going to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools and opening Disk Defragmenter. When in there, go to "Configure schedule", and then uncheck "Run on a schedule".

2) Disable the Page File - To do this in Windows 7, right click on "Computer" and click on "Properties". In the left hand pane of this window, click on "Advanced system settings" and then the "Settings" button under "Performance". In here, you'll want to click on the tab labled "Advanced", then under "Virtual Memory" click the "Change" button. Uncheck the box "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives", and then down below make sure the circle with "No paging file" is selected and click on the "Set" button. Go ahead and click the OK buttons. This may or may not require a restart. Regardless, you may want to restart your computer.

3) Disable Indexing - In Windows 7, open your start menu, and in the search box, type "services.msc" and hit your enter key. This should open the "Services" menu. Under "Services (Local), scroll down until you find "Windows Search" and double click on it. While in here, you want to click on the "Stop" button, then under "Startup type:", make sure its set to "Disabled". Once this is done, click the "OK" button and restart your computer.

These are all services that, on a normal hard drive, are fine, but because of the number of reads and writes to the hard drive, these services can quickly kill your solid state drive. I hope you find this helpful, and if you need anything else just let me know!

Source(s): I'm a computer technician and a gamer.
  • spady

the least puzzling thank you to try this would be for a clean installation, and then use some type of flash reminiscence (or a know-how server in the experience that your getting fancy) to circulate any data you will choose. this often is the least puzzling way, as its no longer uncomplicated to circulate a working device with records for the era of annoying drives.