Question (1) For Jehovah's Witnesses?

Jehovah says in Isaiah 44:24, "I am the Lord, who made all things, who ALONE stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth BY MYSELF." ...... How do you reconcile this with the Watchtower teaching that Jehovah first created Christ and then Christ created everything else ?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Greetings,

The logic of this question is based on a lack of knowledge and research into the original languages and context of the Scriptures. Or just willfully ignoring the explicit statements of God’s Word.

There is no contradiction between Isaiah saying Jehovah alone was the Creator and Colossians saying Jesus was the agent for the Creator. In Isaiah 44:24 Jehovah is spoken of in an active sense—the Creator. But in Colossians, and everywhere else, Christ is only the passive agent of the only Creator. God is the *only one* who creates, but he uses his son as a “master worker.”

The context of Isaiah is not addressing the issue of whether Jehovah used someone else in creation or not. The context was a comparison between the true Creator and false Gods. BDB lexicon on page 94 gives one definition of the Hebrew BAD (alone) as that of “acting independently.” In this sense Jehovah needed no assistance from the false Gods in the context to create. But Christ’s activity in creation is never described as acting independently.

Jehovah many times says he does something “alone” and yet we find that he used humans and angels to actually do the work.

BDB lexicon lists the use of BAD in Isa.63:3 where Jehovah indicates that he “alone” acted when He exacted retribution upon Edom. But, it was not Jehovah who personally punished these people but He used men as agents. So, is there a contradiction here? Or does it just mean that Jehovah as the SOURCE of retribution?!!

De.32:12 says: “Jehovah alone (BADAD) kept leading him.” Was Jehovah the “only one” leading Israel? Ex.32:32-34 says that Jehovah used Moses and an angel to lead Israel! (cf. 1Sam.9:16; 13:13-14; 2Sam;5:1-2). Again, there is no contradiction here. Jehovah used his representatives to lead his people, but He “alone” was the SOURCE of direction!

At Ezek 36:33, 36 Jehovah says “I myself” will build the cities of Israel after the exile. Did He personally rebuild them or did His people do the work at His direction?

All these acts were done by Jehovah’s permission and authority alone, but it was others who carried them out.

Daniel 4:30 says the king built Babylon himself. Did King Nebuchadnezzar literally build Babylon by himself? No! But rather he was credited as it’s ORIGINATOR. It was built by his authority and no other’s.

So, the use of the term, “alone” and “by myself” do not necessarily mean that Jehovah did not use some representative to actually perform the action.

The context of Isaiah is on Jehovah being the “author” or “originator” of the creation, in contrast with the false idol gods the nation of Israel were getting involved with. Jehovah is the true source of all life and all things. He alone deserves the honor and worship of his creation, and not the false idol gods.

Logically, semantically, and contextually there is no reason that Jehovah cannot be said to be the “Sole Creator,” and yet still have delegated the actual work to an intermediary or representative. Since Jehovah was the Source of the power, and the sole designer, he indeed could say “I alone have created all things,” even though the Bible does clearly teach that he created the heavens and the earth THROUGH his *Son* and “master worker” in heaven! (Jn. 1:3; Col.1:15- 16;1Cor.8:6; Heb.1:2; Pro. 8:30).

Jehovah is alone the source of all things, the one alone from which the stretching out the heavens and the laying of the foundations of the earth comes. No other has such an authority or ability within himself, including Jesus. Nevertheless, God did grant Jesus the power and authority perform these tasks.

So, there is absolutely no dilemma concerning these two statements. In his role as the Creator, and sole author of the creation, Jehovah indeed *alone* created the systems of things, through the agency of Jesus, his “master worker.” (Proverbs 8:30) Here we see that Jesus calls the earth “his,” or Jehovah’s, and not “mine.”

Whether the word “other” is added to Col. 1 makes absolutely no difference. The fact is that EVERY verse mentioning Jesus’ role in creation actually proves that he is NOT the Creator. The Bible always makes it clear that God created “THROUGH” (DIA) Christ, and it is never said that Christ created!! The Greek text *always* presents Jesus as the intermediate *agent* or “masterworker” who worked under God’s direction (Col.1:16; Heb.1:2; Jn.1:3; Pro.8:30). Correct translations make this clear: NKJV, NASB, ASV, WEB, NAB, NJB, NIV, NRSV.

Jesus always clearly states that he “can do nothing of myself” and “is not able to do anything from himself” (Jn 5:19,30; 6:38). Jesus must always be *given* power or authority! (Mt.28:18; 11:27; Jn.5:22,25,26; 17:2; 3:35; 2Pt.1:17). Jesus says the Father had to *grant* him the power to give life (Jn.5:26). The Son does not naturally possess the ability to give life as the creator does.

Yours,

BAR-ANERGES

• 8 years ago

Jehovah spoke to mankind by means of angelic representatives...does this mean that He didn't speak to them simply because the angels were acting as His mouthpiece?

The emphasis of those verses is upon not worshipping false gods (man made idols and the likes). It's not an exhaustive description of His spirit nature, ruler-ship or methods of creation.

Jesus said that he didn't do anything of his own initiative / will, but only that of his Father's in heaven.

• 8 years ago

YHWH/ JEHOVAH was referring to the many idols of the nations, the many gods.

ALL that is from God that remains faithful and true IS REPRESENTATIVE of God.

Any scientist who really understands the Bible will inevitably believe in a Giver of life, the Uncaused, who has neither beginning nor end.

This Uncaused has given us His name, as YHWH [ancient Hebrew had no written vowels], rendered in English as Yahweh or JEHOVAH, which means, He Causes To Become.

JEHOVAH, caused the Word to be [the First Cause], and through the Word created ALL things physical, this universe, out of NOTHING. Indeed ENERGY can create MATTER out of NOTHING.

JEHOVAH is a Spirit, from the spirit realm, and along with the Word, there are millions of other spirit

beings, some we know as angels or messengers.

Current cosmological understanding is that there are unknown, unseen phenomena, accounting for up to 99% of the universe. Scientists ascribe terms such as Dark Force and Dark Energy to account for these unknown phenomena.

Current cosmological understanding, is that the geometry of the universe is of a flat model. Which

agrees with it being CAUSED from NOTHING.

While Jehovah, who is a Spirit (John 4:24; 2Co 3:17), has always existed, that is not true of the matter of which the universe is made. Hence, when creating the literal heavens and earth, Jehovah did not use pre-existent material. This is from Genesis 1:1, which says: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” If matter had always existed, it would have been inappropriate to use the term “beginning” with reference to material things.

The Hebrew ba.ra” and the Greek kti’zo, both meaning, “create,” are used exclusively with reference to divine creation.

The things God has created testify not only to his power but also to his Godship. (Jer 10:12; Ro 1:19,20) And as Jehovah “is a God, not of disorder, but of peace” (1Co 14:33); his creative work is marked with orderliness rather than chaos or chance. Jehovah reminded Job that He had taken specific steps in founding the earth and barricading the sea and indicated that there exist “statutes of the heavens” ( Job 38:1, 4-11, 31-33) Furthermore, God’s creative and other works are perfect.- De 32:4; Ec 3:14.

Genesis 1 NW

1 In [the] beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Isaiah 40 NW

22 There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth, the dwellers in which are as grasshoppers, the One who is stretching out the heavens just as a fine gauze, who spreads them out like a tent in which to dwell,

26 “Raise YOUR eyes high up and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who is bringing forth the army of them even by number, all of whom he calls even by name. Due to the abundance of dynamic energy, he also being vigorous in power, not one [of them] is missing.

1 Corinthians 8:6 (American Standard Version)

6 yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we unto him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we through him.

The Word, was sent by JEHOVAH, as a perfect human, Jesus the Christ [Messiah or anointed One]

John 3:16; John 6:38; John 12:49; John 8:42.

• 8 years ago

Question: For Jehovah's Witnesses?

Jesus was the only being directly created by Jehovah God and then was used as a instrument for creation. The bible attributed creation to Jesus' God and Father.

Rev 4:11 "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

Time of Events:

1) Jehovah God was alone in creating the universe. (Isaiah 44:24)

2) Jesus was first to be born of every creature. (Colossians 1:15)

3) Through the prehuman Jesus, the rest of the living dominions, both visible and invisible, in heaven and on earth, were created through, by means of, the prehuman Jesus, so that Jesus was created before all. — Colossians 1:16,17.

So "In the beginning" of the world for mankind (Genesis 1:1, John 1:1) God created the heavens (sky) and earth (dry land) by means (Greek en) of Jesus Christ.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Jehovah works with Jesus, but he alone is the Creator, and in the making of all things, Isaiah was inspired to give the credit to Jehovah. This is not a "Watchtower teaching", God's word the Bible teaches this. Remember when Jesus was asked about marriage, and he went back to creation, and said:

(Matthew 19:4)

In reply he said: “Did YOU not read that he who created them from [the] beginning made them male and female.."

He said HE who created them. "He" is singular.

Yet, in Genesis 1:26 God said:

(Genesis 1:26) And God went on to say: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness.

"Us" and "our" are plural, showing that someone else is involved in the making of man.

As a Jew under the Law Covenant, Isaiah would be familiar with the book of Genesis. He would not be inspired to write anything in contradiction to that. That particular scripture is only giving the credit to Jehovah, as opposed to any false god. The context contrasts Jehovah with these gods, who are made of stone, etc:

Isaiah 44-

9 The formers of the carved image are all of them an unreality, ...

10 Who has formed a god or cast a mere molten image? Of no benefit at all has it been.

In fact, there is a whole discussion about taking a piece of wood and burning some of it to cook food, and the rest of it is made into an idol that a trifling man bows down to. This is what Isaiah is contrasting with the living God who made all things, not Jesus.

Jesus always gives the credit to Jehovah, his Father, and so did Isaiah in that scripture that you quoted. But that doesn't negate any scriptures that say that Jesus, as the beginning of the creation of God, MADE all things.

Source(s): Holy Scriptures, New World Translation http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/genesis/1
  • Linda
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I agree with my fellow friends but look at it this way. You are the designers of a hotel with all the designs and blueprint etc. who created it you did but you had your first son help you to build it, its kind of the same concept. Its was Jehovah God design but yes Jesus being the first creation help Jehovah with everything else

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

This is a very easy question to answer. Jehovah indirectly created everything. The power that he gave to Jesus created everything. In John 5:30 Jesus says: "By myself I can do nothing."

• 8 years ago

Can you read Proverbs 8:22-31 and Revelation 3:14? I hope it answer your confusion.

This is what Jehovah has said, your Repurchaser and the Former of you from the belly: “I, Jehovah, am doing everything, stretching out the heavens by myself, laying out the earth. Who was with me?  [I am] frustrating the signs of the empty talkers, and [I am] the One that makes diviners themselves act crazily; the One turning wise men backwards, and the One that turns even their knowledge into foolishness:

Isaiah 44:24-25

Does it mean Jehovah challenges Isaiah to think who help him his creation and the prophesy?

JEHOVAH GOD is the Grand Identifier of his true messengers. He identifies them by making the messages he delivers through them come true. Jehovah is also the Great Exposer of false messengers. He frustrates their signs and predictions. In this way he shows that they are self-appointed prognosticators, whose messages really spring from their own false reasoning—yes, their foolish, fleshly thinking!

• 8 years ago

The keyword in that verse is God "made" the heavens and the earth "alone" and "by myself". The Word was with God and through this Word all things were made...

John 1:3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

Colossians 1:16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

Genesis 1:26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

So if God YHWH made all things "alone" and "by myself", this proves One God is plural of Persons in the beginning when the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters (Gen. 1:2) and the Father from whom we exist but only with the Son...

1 Corinthians 8:6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.

See the JWs smooth-talking around these contextual verses in the Bible! They do add a lot of vain babblings, but the Bible is all that matters, not the whims of men!

• 8 years ago

This is not a watchtower teaching, it is the bible's teaching.....

(Colossians 1:14-16) . . .by means of whom we have our release by ransom, the forgiveness of our sins. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him and for him.

(Revelation 1:1) A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent forth his angel and presented it in signs through him to his slave John,

(Revelation 3:14) . . .“And to the angel of the congregation in La·o·di·ce′a write: These are the things that the Amen says, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation by God

Put it like this. Solomon is credited with building the temple (2 Chron 6:1) But ask yourself this.... Did Solomon built the actual temple himself? No, of course not. He had workers that he instructed to complete the task, correct? So why is it that Solomon states "I myself have built a house for you..."?

In the same way, God creates all things but as the bible says, Jesus Christ called himself a master worker (Proverbs 8:22-31). The Son’s share in the creative works, however, did not make him a co-Creator with his Father. The power for creation came from God through his holy spirit, or active force. (Ge 1:2; Ps 33:6) And since Jehovah is the Source of all life, all animate creation, visible and invisible, owes its life to him. (Ps 36:9) Rather than a co-Creator, then, the Son was the agent or instrumentality through whom Jehovah, the Creator, worked. Jesus himself credited God with the creation, as do all the Scriptures.—Mt 19:4-6

As you can see at Acts 7:55 that when Jesus returned to heaven after his death, he stood at God's right hand (see also Ps 110:1; Mt 26:64). Revelation 1:1 shows us that Jesus was given the visions from God to relay. What does Jesus himself say?

(John 5:19-24) . . .Therefore, in answer, Jesus went on to say to them: “Most truly I say to you, The Son cannot do a single thing of his own initiative, but only what he beholds the Father doing. For whatever things that One does, these things the Son also does in like manner. For the Father has affection for the Son and shows him all the things he himself does, and he will show him works greater than these, in order that you may marvel. For just as the Father raises the dead up and makes them alive, so the Son also makes those alive whom he wants to. For the Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the Son, in order that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He that does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him. Most truly I say to you, He that hears my word and believes him that sent me has everlasting life, and he does not come into judgment but has passed over from death to life.

John 8:17, 18, RS: “[Jesus answered the Jewish Pharisees:] In your law it is written that the testimony of two men is true; I bear witness to myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness to me.”

Source(s): The bible, God's word, not mans
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.