How do I submit an idea for a new invention?

I have a new invention that I think would be great for scientists to start working on ASAP for the near future, but I have one problem. I don't know where to submit it or share it. If I knew how, I would just build it myself, but I am not a genius. I do, however, think that this invention would be a revolutionary new idea and would bring many people joy and entertainment. As far as money goes, I do not care if I get paid or not, I would just like the invention to be made. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Favorite Answer

1. Are you sure your invention idea would even work?

Example: "a pair of glasses that turns any movie you want into 3D" may sound pretty awesome, but its not actually possible to make. (See episode 11, season 5 of The Big Bang Theory to see what I am talking about.)

#2. Are you sure your invention will be cost effective and affordable?

Example: Yes, you could make umbrellas made of space-age materials that don't break easily... but who is going to pay $2,000 for an umbrella?

#3. Does your invention have a market to sell to?

Example: Yes, you can make a super-battery using microwaves and ionized gas to store large amounts of electricity as ionized plasma, but is there really a market for storing huge amounts of electricity? And yes, on a large scale it is more efficient than traditional batteries, but who actually needs that much electricity storage? (Answer: Nation-wide electricity companies, but good luck convincing them of making the investment in the tech.)

Assuming your idea is actually feasible and marketable, you still need a working prototype (which means someone able of building it), and then you need to patent it and approach companies which might be willing to lease or buy the patents.

Well you have a couple of options and if you aren't interested in getting paid then the solution is to share it socially online. The risk if you do this is that someone will most probably try and profit from your idea. The other option is to approach the companies that might want to use it.

If you want to profit from the idea then it would be a good idea to get a patent on it. This can be a cheap online patent done through your countries IP resource or get the help of a patent lawyer (costly).

I have had a lot of dealing with people who have ideas and mostly they want to profit from it. You also have the choice once you patent the idea to license the idea to a large company where you will get a percentage share from the profits. Again it depends on the idea you have.