Joss
Joss asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 7 years ago

Random Writer question: Is your character an unreliable narrator?

Is your character an unreliable narrator?

I think I've only written one unreliable narrator and it's for a short story that I'm still editing.

BQ: What's your favorite book with an unreliable narrator?

-- Catcher in the Rye for me.

Hmm, I think I rather like the unreliable narrator in Shutter Island than in Catcher, but I like Catcher as a book better than Shutter Island.

• Gem
    Best Answer

My character is definitely an unreliable narrator--he's schizophrenic.

Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower has to be my favorite UN. I read Catcher in the Rye when I was 13, and I don't know, that book just doesn't do it for me. I tried re-reading it at 15 and again at 18, and the whole novel is just "meh." The writing style is excellent and I think the author is a very good writer.I just think that Holden is a brat. That's just my opinion though.

I've written one and a half novels and one short story in first person, none of which has an unreliable narrator. I'm considering it for the next first-person story I write.

I've always made the argument that, due to differing perspectives and the impossibility of completely objective thought, all narrators are unreliable.

But...to answer your BQ: Island by Richard Laymon It's gruesome, but the payoff is well worth it.

I haven't written anything with an unreliable narrator. I've given it thought though.

BQ: Notes from Underground.

I did, for a short story. Nothing for a long story, though.