Tufts Gordon Institute - Masters in Engineering Management ?

I am considering a Masters in Engineering Management at Tufts Gordon Institute (Tufts School of Engineering). I'm 27 with a BS in Chemical Engineering, and currently work in Industrial Controls (Controls and Automation).

I am trying to decide whether to apply to this program. A few things in particular worry me:

1) Tufts itself is a great school, but when I do a search for Tufts Gordon Institute or the MEM program, I find little or no info (outside of Tufts itself) on the program. I realize this isn't as "brand name" as MIT (which I think is overpriced), but I am a bit worried about name recognition. Is the Gordon Institute well regarded?

2) The MEM itself is a relatively new degree. It is an alternative to an MBA. I realize that with an MBA I may get more opportunities to jump careers and I will be boxing myself into Engineering if I get this. That said, I am concerned prospective employers will look at my resume and say:

"What the heck is an MEM?" Is it worth it to invest in this kind of degree.

3) Tufts has in its favor the cost / reward ratio benefit. This program is roughly $40k for 2 years (part-time), which is about $20k a year, pretty reasonable considering I make a pretty good salary currently (just paid off $50k in undergrad loans over 5 years). Someplace like MIT on the other hand, while I am fairly certain I could get into, is $40-70k a year. Not quite certain I would get all that much (besides a professional network and the brand name) more out of MIT. Plus they only offer full time programs, and that's a lot of lost wages I could be making.

I'd prefer feedback from other Engineering professionals or others in the industry.

MEM program Link:

http://gordon.tufts.edu/engMgmt/MSEM/index.asp

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Hello –

I work as part of the admissions team at Tufts Gordon Institute and wanted to reply to your posting. Since I know you would prefer to hear from other engineering professionals, I wanted to first offer to connect you with other Tufts MSEM alumni so you can speak with them directly and get their honest thoughts on your questions. We know how helpful it can be to speak with others who have first-hand experience. Please feel free to email me at carla.eberle@tufts.edu or the main admissions email at tgi@tufts.edu.

In the meantime here are some answers to your concerns:

1) Rankings – Tufts University’s M.S. in Engineering Management is a fully accredited program by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). The degree is awarded by Tufts University. (The Gordon Institute is simply part of Tufts School of Engineering and the MSEM program is one of the programs offered out of the Institute.) As you know Tufts University is a world-renowned university, currently ranked #28 by US News & World Report. Our alumni report that the Tufts M.S. in Engineering Management degree is an impressive credential that is respected by the colleagues as well as potential employers.

2) You are correct that in terms of overall name recognition, the MBA is more well known, however the MSEM is a differentiator. We consider our program to be more than an MBA alternative. It is a professional education that has been specifically designed to address the needs of technology professionals and prepare leaders for our global innovation economy. The MSEM degree is gaining popularity evidenced by enrollment numbers reported by the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) - enrollment in MSEM programs between 2003-2010 more than doubled, from 2,299 in 2003 to 5,703 in 2010. Other popular media have also reinforced the value of the MEM or MSEM degree – US News & World report called the degree a “Smart Choice” when considering a master’s degree in engineering and a Wall Street Journal article from January 2012 titled, “Move Over MBAs Here Come the Engineers” reported on a paper from Harvard Business School reporting engineers being more prevalent than MBAs in companies’ top ranks.

3) In terms of job opportunities – the MSEM is applicable to a variety of industries including: defense, biopharma/medical devices, computer & communication hardware, industrial manufacturing, civil/environmental/energy, IT/Internet/Communications. The MSEM degree does not limit you future roles only within engineering – the idea is that you are able to leverage your technical skills with management/business skills to rise to the highest levels of a technology-based company whether it is a start-up, multinational nonprofit or government agency. Our alumni are in positions ranging from functional managers to directors and vice presidents all the way to CTO and CEO. Some of our graduates have also pursued more entrepreneurial/start-up career paths as well as careers within sales and marketing. However, the desire to maintain focused on technology/innovation is certainly an attribute that makes the MSEM a better choice.

4) Using PayScale when you compare the median salary by years of experience with individuals who earned an MBA vs. a MS in Engineering Management, individuals who earned a MSEM consistently earned more.Granted, the sample size of the MSEM degree is significantly smaller than that of the MBA, however our alumni have also consistently shown excellent ROI. Results from the MSEM class of 2012 show that 100 percent of students believe the degree was worth its cost in time and tuition. While still enrolled in the program, 47 percent of students were promoted or advanced within their company with an average salary increase of 13 percent. (Comparatively, the MSEM classes of 2011 and 2010 had an average salary increase of 11 and 10 percent respectively.) Looking out a few more years, students who graduated between 2008-11 have experienced an average salary increase of 29% since graduation. Additionally, more than half of students were promoted to a manager position for the first time while enrolled in the program. The ROI of our MSEM program is clearly a strong point for our MSEM program.

Hopefully, the information above is useful as you go through the research process and try and decide which graduate program is the best for you. We would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further and would encourage you to also sit in on one of our classes.

• krausz

Tufts Gordon Institute

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I am trying to decide whether to apply to this program. A few things in...

Source(s): tufts gordon institute masters engineering management: https://bitly.im/aOABN
  • kellan

Tufts Engineering Ranking

1

Source(s): Advanced affiliates Course http://emuy.info/AffiliateMarketingTrainingPortal

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avVdS

Education Institute of Management & Engineering Studies (EIMES) Indian Institute of Management and Engineering (IIME)

• Prof

You need to decide whether you want to stay in engineering or more ito management. The MEM keeps you in engineering. The MBA moves you out of engineering and gets you into management, with the possibility of reaching CEO level. You evidently have enough work experience for either program.

MIT is an excellent school with high name recognition and the MBA is known whereas the MEM is not as popular. Of course, there are hundreds of other good MBA programs. As for the cost, you may want to find out when starting salaries tufts MEM holders are getting, and compare that with MBA starting salaries. You may also want to compare Tufts' MEM with that from other schools.

Consult the Official MBA Guide. It's a comprehensive free public service with more than 2,000 MBA programs listed worldwide. It publishes only official data provided by university administrators, without modifying or editing the data. The Official MBA Guide allows you to search for programs by location (US, Europe, Far East, etc.), by concentration (finance, marketing, aviation management, health management, accounting, etc.), by type of program (full-time, distance learning, part-time, executive, and accelerated), and by listing your own criteria and preferences to get a list of universities that satisfy your needs. Schools report their accreditation status, tuition cost, number of students, class sizes, program length, and a lot of other data. Schools provide data on entrance requirements, program costs, program characteristics, joint degrees, and much more. You can use the Guide to contact schools of your choice, examine their data, visit their web site, and send them pre applications. You can see lists of top 40 schools ranked by starting salaries of graduates, GMAT scores, and other criteria.

Source(s): http://www.mba.com/mba - for GMAT information http://officialmbaguide.org/ – worldwide free public service

2

Source(s): Vertical Leap Exercises http://emuy.info/VerticalJumpTraining/?PDiF
  • Elvia

521

Source(s): OnlineDegreeFAQs - http://www.askonlinedegree.com/

extremely tough thing search on the search engines that will could help