What do you think of Mitt Romney's advice for paying for college and starting a business?

Mitt Romney:

"We’ve always encouraged young people: take a shot, go for it, take a risk, get the education, borrow money if you have to from your parents, start a business," Romney said today before a group of (utterly enthralled) students at Otterbein University in Ohio"

Excuse me, Mitt, but not all of us were born with a silver spoon in our mouths, with parents who were multi-millionaires.

Mitt Romney thinks that the only people who should go to college are those who can afford it. He wants to eliminate the Department of Education and cut student funding.

• ms.
    Favorite Answer

he's great at borrowing money to make money...

The new improved bread line is the corporate welfare line:

http://media.salon.com/2011/12/romney-ba%E2%80%A6

Thats Romney in the middle there.

He used Bain Capital to acquire companies who then persuaded their own states to subsidize them further. Bain then sold some of those companies and made huge profits, thanks to the taxpayers.

new link, above link not working:

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/21/romney%e2%80%99s_r...

Let them eat cake.

Zachary, neither of my parents were able to go to college even with great grades and good heads on their shoulders. Sure, they made it all right in life, but they were still getting paid less than some silver-spoon kid who got a free ride to college from his parents, partied hard, and learned that very important republican lesson--if you have money, you can have other people do the work for you while you play. I think it is a waste of resources and underemployment to let idiot children of the rich run things while the people who showed they have the smarts and the drive, but not the money, do the work so that those spoiled adults can "manage" them from the golf course. You don't see that crap happen as often today, and you can thank student loans for that.

SV--that is a way to get out of debt by choosing public service and a low paying job rather than using your degree to make money. It is not required to serve the government--you can use cash for paying back loans--what it is your opportunity to become a teacher, if you choose, without figuring out how to pay for six years of college while making half of what most people who complete six years of college make.

On the other hand, Obama wants all students to work for the Fed for 10 years so that there Student Loan debt will be forgiven. I cannot imagine how excited Mark Zuckerburg would have been at the opportunity to be a bureaucrat. Me neither. Plus, if all the students took Obummer up on this dumb idea, what would happen? The debt is racking up at $4 billion a day now, it wont' be reduced by this Welfare concept.

Source(s): There are 100 million families in the US, but only 82 million tax payers. The national debt is about $16 trillion - those lazy tax payers each need to fork over $200K and pay the debt down NOW!

No student aid, no student loans, no work study payments - just ask dear old Mom & Dad for a loan?..

No SBA loans .. just tap your Pop and open a business like Bain Capitol with a 1/2 mil per partners.

Who sez Mr. Romney is out of touch with the rest of us? Education is only for the elite is what he is implying.

At a conference for young college students wanting to start their own business, they asked Romney for advice about how to start a business. Romney said, "Borrow some money from your parents." == For example: A franchise for a McDonalds restaurant costs $250,000. Romney can do that for all his children, so he thinks all parents have the extra money to finance a McDonalds franchise.

What would happen if you asked your parents to loan you $250,000?

= Romney is out of touch with the average American

I think it's great advice. I wasn't born into a rich family, although my father owned a small local business. And yes, he did build it! I never went to college but I've owned a few businesses. One business I started with $60 and a couple of friends. We all had full time jobs while we built our business. It took a couple of years of hard work, but we eventually did over a million dollars in sales and had 26 employees. Sold the business and started another one.

My father used to say, "One of the advantages of owning your own business is you can work as many hours as you want."

My advice: Get off your *** and do something!

• Ola

Why are you so extremely frightened and scared of him?

I did exactly that: I borrowed the money to go to college, and paid it back. Now I have a great job.

We borrowed money to start a business. We did well. We sold it

This is the way people live well. Why is it such a strange idea to you? It is NOT necessary to be born rich. Romney GAVE away his inheiritance, remember? The college kids at Ohio State say Romney is very well recieved.

Both my parents are dead. I guess this disqualifies me from obtaining higher education (under Willard's plan). I guess all orphans should just be brought up with a shovel in their hands, since they didn't have a silver spoon in their mouths.

Every one should have the CHANCE to go to a college for a better future!

What Romney wants is all the RICH students will have the chance to go to a college for a better future!

Romney Policy: Rich get Richer and Poor get poorer

Mitt Rommney like all Republicans hate poor people and the middle class.

• David

I delivered plumbing supplies during the day and went to school at night. It took me 10 years to earn my degree, but I had no school loan debt when I finished and at 27 years old had a much better grasp of what I wanted to do with my life.