Are there SSD assistance program?

Awaiting social security disability ruling.. when received, are there other services?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

Not really. 24 months after your month of entitlement you will become entitled to Medicare if you want it. Otherwise the only other assistance would be the possibiity of food stamps and Medicaid through the county welfare office but that would depend upon the amount of your SSD benefit - if it's too high you wouldn't be entitled to any assistance from them. You might also be eligible for subsidized housing via HUD but, again, that is income related.

If you are instead eligible for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) you would also be eligible for Medicaid and food stamps although you would have to apply for the food stamps at county welfare (the Medicaid is automatic with SSI entitlement). SSI is the federal welfare program - not social security. SSI benefits are paid out of general tax revenues unlike social security disability which is paid out of the social security trust fund.

Source(s): I was a social security claims rep for 32 years.

Welfare can help you now, if you qualify. Also the federal government, and each state and some towns have oddball programs that help. You have to do some heavy research online to find out what's available for you.

When hubby was waiting for his decision, we were living on my meager amount of disability. (Less than $1000 a month.) Because of how little we had coming in, locally we qualified for some home repairs (it took three years for them to do the repairs), a program that paid our mortgage when we couldn't afford it (federal government and we've been paying it back ever since), a stipend to pay our heat bill one month during the winter (I think that was local government, but through the gas company), a free energy audit, a free frig and air-conditioning (from our electric company), food stamps and free health insurance through Welfare (which was so frigging helpful, since hubby's chemo drugs cost about $3000 a month), and yet we didn't qualify for the cheapo cell phone they advertise now. (Go figure. lol)

All those things I found by doing lots of research online with a sense of desperation, but that's the thing. It's not just about being disabled - it has to do with income level. Disability is based on the inability to work. That doesn't always mean the disabled person is broke. Sometimes there is someone in the house who can work. Most programs are based on low income levels more than the cause of the low income.

this is one one of those "it depends" things

in AL.. there is no welfare for those on pending disability & there are no adult social workers, there is no medicaid while you wait on SS to make the determination.. I couldn't even get food stamps because I was living with my then-boyfriend... if I had been living with a female friend, then they would have assumed I was not in a significant relationship & would have allowed me food-stamps (yes, I appealed & on appeal they indicated that I was in a significant relationship and not purchasing food separately because he bought food for me while I was in application process... perhaps we should have lied)

in IL.. there is a small welfare amount (@ $150 per month) while waiting on SS determination, there are adult social workers who help you apply for it, but there still is no medicaid while waiting on SS to make determination

once determined... and let's say approved.... it will depend on your monthly SSD amount & state rules for medicaid.... in AL, I still had to go without coverage until my Medicare kicked in (despite needing cancer surgery... it had to wait until my Medicare was in place)

When I called AL Insurance Commissioner's office & asked them what I needed to do to get medical care that was needed... I was told "perhaps you should consider moving to a state with different medicaid rules"

in some states... like MA... there is welfare, and various support services for a person pending & even when you get on SSD (have several friends in MA)

There are some good tips in this CBS News article...

http://dcnews4.com/cbs-news-social-security-errors...

• You can apply for food stamps, energy assistance, and a phone discount/free cell phone.

When you become eligible for Medicare there is "Extra Help". It's through Medicaid but you don't apply for Medicaid. It helps pay your prescription copays and any Advantage plan premiums.