Maggie asked in PetsHorses · 8 years ago

Good horse books, tv shows, movies, etc. ?

What are some really good books, tv shows, movies, magazines, and really anything at all that have to do with horses? Preferably for around a 12+ age range, but ages under that would work, so long as they're not directed towards, like, 6 year olds... I think that you can probably understand this :P. thanks :)

Favorite Answer

BOOKS-

WARHORSE- is absolutely beautiful war story

THE HORSE WHISPERER- beautiful aswell

PHANTAM STALLION [WILD HORSE ISLAND] series- follows a young girl in hawaii with her wild mustang on a ranch

THE SADDLE CLUB- kind of been there, read that

---- Just read autobiographies of famous horses like PHARLAP, SECRETARIAT eg or A BOOK OF SOUP FOR THE HORSE LOVERS SOUL- different stories, real life stories of people and their horses miracoulous stories.

TV SHOWS-

SADDLE CLUB- you probs know

HEARTLAND- a girl horsewhisperer

ROUGH DIAMOND- abc series or a english racehorse stable

WILDFIRE- a girl and her racehorse do the unthinkable and all the trouble along the way

MOVIES-

SPIRIT

RUFFIAN

SECRETARIAT

PHARLAP

SEABISCUIT

THE COLT

THE LONG SHOT

MOONDANCE ALEXANDER

VIRGINIAS RUN

NICO THE UNICORN

DREAMER

RACING STRIPES

FLICKER

HILDAGO

THE HORSE WHISPERER

SHERGAR

WARHORSE

THE DERBY STALLION

BUCK - new horse whisperer movie 2012

THE BLACK STALLION - quite a few of them

BLACK BEAUTY

THE SILVER BRUMBY

There is probably alot more than this but these were in my mind!!

Also you can watch documentaries on horses aswell, famous too

MAGAZINES-

i dont know alot but go into a news agency and im sure they would have plenty in their horse section

I hope this was helpful!!

Source(s): my head

In general Despite Having been horse riding since I was three I am not a fan if the typical horsey stuff. I do not like most books as by the end of every one I have bet read they magically are able too have their own horse! The world does not and never will work that way! Anyway if you have not read black beauty it is a serious crime against animal literature. The author was the first person to write a book about animal welfare. There is a film too by the book is longer. There black stallion book series is good even if he does get the horse at the end. Dreamer is a fantastic film, horse whisperer and... I can't remember its name... Something velvet a about s female jockie.

In books there is the phantom stallion series and the Heartland series and Heartland Has been turned into a tv show. unfortunately there are not a lot of them out there. a couple of movies Black beauty of course Dark horse and The long shot. Just a few off the top of My head Good Luck!

Books:

Canterwood Crest series (kinda girly at times but dramay)

Heartland series (very good, lots of books but I learned a lot of horsesy stuff)

Chestnut Hill series (by the same authors of Heartland and just as good)

TV Shows:

Heartland (not exactly like the book but pretty good)

Saddle Club (I don't enjoy the new ones but the older saddle club series was good)

Movies:

Secreteriate (even my mom loved this. i think because its a true story its even more amazing)

Moondance Alexandra (kinda cheezy and probably not as realistic but very dreamy)

Flicka (any of the movies theres a ton, are good)

Magazines:

Horse Illistrated

Young Rider (very very cool! Love this mag)

Those are all my things I'd recommend.

My sister and I love heartland. It is a book series with 20+ books, and a tv series which I believe is in it's 6th season. It's a great show about horses pointed toward a pre-teen/teen audience with lots of info on horses and a little drama/romance wrapped in. I bet you'll love it if you love horses like I do! Hope this helps, enjoy ;)

Man from snowy river . It's an older movie but a good horsey movie.

Black beauty book or movie

The black stallion book or movie

Also read all of margret henrys books.

Once you read a book you start to see the story the way you want to assume it not what sort of director wants one to see it

check out Flying Changes or Riding Lesson not sure if there to advanced if they are its not by much but I loved them.

There is also Pony Palls, I use to love those but I don't remember how old I was then.

Pine Hollow - young adult book

Try looking at this website http://www.horse-stall.net/top-horses/horse-songs.... You will find everything you are looking for :)

Source(s): Horse owner and lover