Glucometer shows different readings which one is right?

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and asked to monitor my sugar readings 1hr after every meal. I also monitor fasting sugar. My FS was 106 (should be < 90) and 1 hr reading after my breakfast showed 222 ( I had 2 small finger millet indian bread). Thought it was high, performed successive 2nd , 3rd and 4th test the readings were 202, 191 & 189 respectively. I poked on 4 different fingers. Now I want to know which one is the accurate reading ? Any info on this would be a great help! I use AccuChek glucometer.

Favorite Answer

Those are all basically the same reading. I know you want perfect accuracy from your glucose meter, but that's not going to happen. The margin of error can be +/- 20%, although in truth most aren't that off the mark. Meters are simply meant to give you an approximation of blood sugar.

Also, your blood sugar is changing all the time - every second, every minute. You're going to see different blood sugar readings if you prick different fingers or different parts of your body. I don't know how long you waited between your 2nd and 4th tests, but that could be a factor.

I don't know which one is the "accurate" one. They're all accurate and they're all inaccurate. The only way to verify would be to compare the results side by side with a laboratory blood draw. You could also test the same blood sample on another glucose meter to get an idea. Generally, I go with the cluster. 189-202 mg/dL are more tightly clustered as compared to 202-222 mg/dL, so I'd estimate I'm somewhere in the first range. Sometimes I go with the highest just to be cautious.

Either way, it doesn't matter. 106 mg/dL is too high, and 189 mg/dL - the lowest number you saw - is extremely high. Does it really make a difference if you're 190 mg/dL as opposed to 222 mg/dL? You clearly ate something that doesn't work for your blood sugar regardless of which reading you choose, so that's the lesson here.

1

Source(s): Reverse Any Diabetes Easily : http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?Uvjs

2

Source(s): Amazing Diabetes Cure Secrets : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?XchI

Those readings are all accurate!! When we prick a moving blood it will be different with every one of our 10 fingers and then again different if we use our toes as well! We will have 10 or 20 different readings because blood circulates in our bodies!! It is always changing!!

I find any bread, cereal or grain product will spike my glucose that much!! I never have any carbohydrates for breakfast. Only proteins and fats for this early hour or my glucose stays high all day long.

I do not like the AccuChek as it is about 25 points off where the labs numbers are! I have one that is high and one that is low. Yours might be on the higher side, but not off as much as mine. This one is the one prefered by my insurance company and the one they fully pay for it and the test strips. Guess what? it is the least expensive on the market.

Don't second guess your readings more than once! If it seems really high then you may do it once more, but not 3 or more times!! Record all the readings and the hours you do them.

A glucose meter (or glucometer) is a medical device for determining the approximate concentration of glucose in the blood. It is a key element of home blood glucose monitoring (HBGM) by people with diabetes mellitus or hypoglycemia. A small drop of blood, obtained by pricking the skin with a lancet, is placed on a disposable test strip that the meter reads and uses to calculate the blood glucose level.

• kartua

Your body uses the sugar as time goes on. Take cinnamon and it will regulate your blood sugar. I don't have to take sugar pills any longer.

Source(s): Native American Shaman