How did I fall off my motorcycle?? Looking back on what happened. Any tips from experienced riders?

Hi all bikers and friends. I am from NYC. Yesterday I was riding my Suzuki S40 bike in the rain (not the smartest thing I know). I rode the BQE freeway at 50 - 60mph in the rain for about an hour or so and didn't really have to brake much or abruptly. I got off the freeway and onto local streets. About 20... show more Hi all bikers and friends. I am from NYC. Yesterday I was riding my Suzuki S40 bike in the rain (not the smartest thing I know). I rode the BQE freeway at 50 - 60mph in the rain for about an hour or so and didn't really have to brake much or abruptly. I got off the freeway and onto local streets.
About 20 mins and literally a few blocks from home I was riding maybe about 30mph and the light turned red. I brakes with my front brakes and followed by my rear brakes. Next thing I know I was sliding on the pavement like a baseball player sliding into home plate. I slid about 3 - 4 ft and my bike dropped and slid a few feet ahead of me. I was wearing a tshirt but did not receive any lacerations on my forearm. The pavement was just so slippery that I glided along like a slip and side. Looking back at it, I never had a problem or encountered anything like that when using the rear brake.

Now I am wondering did I just happened to hit a slippery or possibly oil spot or its not wise to use your rear brake in the rain? I admit I was a bit arrogant and didn't adjust my riding much under the weather conditions. I am a little shaken by that and now when i got on my bike today (dry weather of course) i was a bit paranoid and hesitant and everytime i brake I am a little scared. I didn't use the rear at all today. I am paranoid that my bike has issues, that my tires are slippery, or whatever it is but I don't have the confidence to do what i have been doing prior to that fall. Any experienced riders can give some feedback about what might have happened or caused it? Also how can I tell if my bike is damaged? I've been paranoid thinking that the headset is offset and my brakes feel rocky and tires is slipping from underneath me. Is it just a mindfuck?

Note that I had a couple of close yesterday on the rainy day. All was on local streets (not the freeway thank god). First was on a pit of sand and it slipped and I almost dropped the bike. Second time was stopping once again on a red light in the rain and i hit the front and rear brake but the bike fell to my left and I managed to grab and hold it with my right hand to prevent it from falling. Is it the rain, my tires, or me using the rear brake in the rain?

Please note I am a novice rider, riding for a month only but i've caught on quick. This is not the first time I took a dive. My first day on the bike, i was making a left too quick and leaned too much and I fell to the left and lacerated my left forearm. The bike fell too but no damage except for the left peg. Am i falling too much for a novice? How many times have u guys fallen off your bike? my friend whos been riding for 2 years only fell once, which is leading me to question myself. Any advice appreciated, thanks!
Update: More info that may help. I took my bike to the shop for an inspection just prior to the fall. The guy said that both tires need to be changed because the tread was all used up. I told am I've been riding for a month and never had issues but of course had him order 2 new tires for me. He told me to go easy... show more More info that may help. I took my bike to the shop for an inspection just prior to the fall. The guy said that both tires need to be changed because the tread was all used up. I told am I've been riding for a month and never had issues but of course had him order 2 new tires for me. He told me to go easy since i'm a novice and go easy on the tires too. What a bummer, after he said that i took a dive. took about jinxing
Update 2: This only happened when I hit the rear brake in the rain. Once for the close call and once again for the actual fall. Thanks and sorry for all the info. Gotta learn from my mistake brothers