Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

If businesses like the market system, why do they try and discourage workers from doing as they do?

Employees want steady; committed employees that will fill a need and will not quit on them. They try to resist turnover. If an employee quits his job because he feels he isn't being paid enough, that looks poorly when he tries to get another job. Because hiring is risk and turnover hurts.

Workers can be ignored or punished for being flaky or disloyal. Even shunned if they get a bad reputation or "look" unstable in their work history.

So doesn't this attempt to "lock in" labor costs regardless of future market forces serve as an example of consumers trying to fix the market for producers?

And if business needs to do this; doesn't that suggest that labor is not like any other commodity? Free to chase the highest bidder? Nor should it be?

also, I forgot about contracts. why would businesses need those if they supported their workers quitting if they aren't happy?

When I had a small business I interview many of your ilk I use to think ''look I put out an ad you answered it now he'll acting as if you were a real asset'' we will see this is what I pay don't like it turn around and hit the door just because you want something does not mean I have to give it to you

I remember one guy called I told him what I paid he said ''that way too low'' and hung up O K fine however the next day that guy came in I ask ''did you not call me at 10 Am yesterday ''yes'' there no work here for you

• neil s

I tend to agree. But I also see workers failing to recognize that the labor market is a market. If they recognized this fact, many behaviors would be different. For instance, why do child birth rates go up in an economic boom? Wouldn't a thoughtful labor force want to maintain the equilibrium of supply and demand that produced the boom. But instead, when this new generation grows up, their will be more workers due to the increased birth rate, and thus less pay for each.

Matthew, have you ever worked? Seriously, have you?

You always sound like a child blabbering on about things and rarely make any semblance of sense.

Curious George called, he says to stop stealing his act.

nice way to look at it. we also need more labor laws in this country to protect workers.

Evidently you are thinking you should be in control. Why don't you start a business?

They don't. Operating under that false premise is what causes you so much confusion,

They don't.

What you have written here is complete and total BS.